1979 Chevy Truck

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, Tim, Dougflas, HECAT

User avatar
Posts: 371
Joined: Sun Apr 24, 2016 6:29 am

Re: 1979 chevy truck

Postby Cusser » Tue May 09, 2017 6:57 am

If you're in USA. may be simpler, less expensive, and perform better if staying R-12: you wouldn't need to flush out all the old R-12 oil to then add R134a oil. R-12 is available and legal in USA to use in such vehicles (like in my 1988 truck).

If there's no leakage, that R-12 cost is a one-time charge.
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu May 04, 2017 6:15 am

Re: 1979 chevy truck

Postby Caymandave » Tue May 09, 2017 7:15 am

Thanks for that. What I really need is a couple of pipes that are not sold by any of the old truck guys like LMC. I cant seem to down load a page from their catalog but it is the two pipes that go from the hose to the condenser through the fan support bracket on the drivers side of the engine.
If you know of salvage yard that might have them let me know.
Posts: 209
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2016 6:10 pm

Re: 1979 Chevy Truck

Postby Dougflas » Tue May 09, 2017 7:17 pm

Try a large salvage yard like LKQ. They are all over the world.
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Jun 18, 2017 6:40 am

Re: 1979 Chevy Truck

Postby bcarlson78248 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 6:56 am

I have a '75 GMC with the same original condenser setup. However, I converted to a new parallel flow condenser and barrier hoses, so I no longer have the original fittings for the condenser. FYI - I also found that GM made minor changes to the routing over the years. For example, I found a '74 truck at Pick and Pull where one metal line routed across the condenser and came out on the passenger side (in the LMC picture they both come out on the driver's side).

Those fittings are just small sections of steel tubing that are bent in the right orientation to stick through the radiator support and make it easier to connect the lines under the hood. You could try to bend up similar tubing, but I think it would be real challenge to make the tight bends and get the fittings to work correctly.

I recommend that your A/C guy make you some short adapter hoses that connect the condenser to your hoses. Make them just long enough to route through the radiator support, and use clamps or large grommets to support them where they go through the radiator support. I think that the end toward the condenser is a compression fitting, and the end toward the hose is an O-ring fitting, but both should be available.


Return to “Automotive Air Conditioning Forum”