2014 silverado head scratcher

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, Tim, JohnHere

garza314
Read the full article

2014 silverado head scratcher

Post by garza314 »

So new on here, tried looking at other posts about this issue but couldnt find any, but man this has me wondering

These days in southern texas have been cold/fresh so i hadent noticed.. but 1 hot day i open my truck and it smelled damp/humid.. i lift the floor mats and the truck floor is soaked.. driver and passenger and rear .. however on the elevations the carpet is dry.. so only the lowest parts of the floor.. i take off the side trim, clear water puddled amongst the wiring, i pick up carpet and all sound deadening material, dripping/soaked.. realize that there is no ac drainage coming out to the firewall.. 2 days ago i did a watergun/water hose pressure, see if i could get some movement.. i did, as a matter of fact.. seemed to be fine.. then the constant drip stopped.. a buddy brought a .flexible hose attached to out air compressor, and shot pressurized air up the drain.. and seemed to worked, was dripping well and consistent.. yesterday i turned on the truck to see if itd start dripping after 20-30 min. Not a drop.. a ac guy came around said the evap core was clogged, sprayed his acid on it.. rinsed it and looked like it was again, dripping well even after 30min of standstill , blower was on 1, ac was set to circulation and on LO.. ac compressor on and yea ac is always cold as ice.. so ok.. today i left the dang truck on for 1hr with no drop of water, again, on LO, recirculation on, ac cold as ice, blower on 1, outside temp was about 70 degrees F.. doors were open cuz im air drying the carpets and sound deadening with fans.. i tried to use the pressurized air again, stuck the flexible tube in the drain, small bursts, for about 5 mins, and nothing came out chasing the tube, the dang tube wasnt even wet.. so idk, im at a loss.. i turned off the truck and nothing came out , just dry..

If anyone has an idea.. the only thing i havent tried is a vaccuum but again if i push air into the drain, i can hear the air just fine inside the cabin.. im thinking of buying a borescope to see the internals, cuz if i cant figure it out, im sure ima have to take off the whole damn dash..
JohnHere
Preferred Member

Re: 2014 silverado head scratcher

Post by JohnHere »

Obviously, condensate is building up in the evaporator case and then overflowing, creating a huge mess. The question is, why?

Your vehicle is a 2014 model year, about ten years old and old enough for debris and gunk (decayed leaf litter, for example) to have built up in and around the evaporator. I think your A/C guy was on the right track, just that he didn't get out all the gunk, which continues to migrate inside the evaporator case and clog the drain tube(s). That's my theory, anyway.

You might have no choice but to recover the system, open the evaporator case, remove the evaporator, and clean out the enclosure using a suitable detergent, bristle brush, and water from a garden hose. Ensure that you tightly seal the inlet and outlet tubes that connect to the evaporator before doing this so that no water enters the refrigeration system, which as you mentioned has been working well in the recent past.

You might also have to replace the evaporator, depending on how it looks. It might be too far gone (clogged and corroded fins) to re-use it.

As long as you're working under the dash, you might as well replace the cabin air filter if your truck has one.

The orifice tube and accumulator, the latter of which contains a desiccant, should also be replaced. In addition, the accumulator will need a few fluid-ounces of oil added to it before making the final connections. Then, evacuate and recharge the system to factory specs.
Member – MACS (Mobile Air Climate Systems Association)

Thankful for the responses you have received? Please consider making a monetary donation to this Forum.
garza314

Post by garza314 »

Sorry meant to post this a long time ago , but John it WAS the core itself.. i took the dash off my 2014 silverado.. replaced the evap core and put everything back.. vacuum and refilled with freon and everything worked out very well.. now i turn on the truck and within i want to say 5min .. it starts dripping water at a good normal rate.. i appreciate the reply and the long explanation about my issue.. i was really trying to just clean it and clean it and clean it as much as i could but figured id waste more time doing that than just replacing the core.. oh and on another note.. my truck was being bombarded by 2 entrees of water.. the overspilling of the evap core was 1.. the other.. i didnt even know if all trucks have this.. in the back of the cabin.. there are 2 vents.. called "body pressure valves".. they were bad.. the gaskets were brittle, the flaps were warped from the heat.. i ran water and sprayed the back of my cabin while looking at the body valves, and a ton of water started making its way inside, flooding the localized area in seconds.. so if anybody is thinking its the housing of the ac thats broken or cracked.. check those body pressure valves first.. or could be both things as in my case.. thank u
JohnHere
Preferred Member

Post by JohnHere »

Appreciate your following up and sharing what you did to correct the problem.
Member – MACS (Mobile Air Climate Systems Association)

Thankful for the responses you have received? Please consider making a monetary donation to this Forum.