Vintage AC System Questions

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, Tim, JohnHere

Gr8t73
Read the full article

Vintage AC System Questions

Post by Gr8t73 »

Hello everyone I am new to this forum and hoping for a little guidance from someone who knows a lot more about the AC system on my 1973 Corvette than I do. I have replaced all the components in the AC system with stock components (Condenser, Evaporator, VIR, hoses and compressor). The compressor is a Pro6ten compressor with the superheat feature like the original and is the only nonstock item in the system. I will be using R12 in the system with ester oil. I spoke with a technician from Old Air products where I purchased the compressor. The tech said I should drain the shipping oil from the compressor and replace it with 7.44 ounces of ester oil. He also stated I should put the entire 7.44 ounces of oil in the compressor and that there was no need to put oil in the individual components. When replacing major components the service manual calls for 1 ounce of oil in the condenser, 3 ounces in the evaporator, 1 ounce in the VIR and the balance 2.44 ounces in the compressor . My question is should I follow the techs advise and put all the oil in the compressor or follow the service manual instructions. Thanks
andrew vanis

Re: Vintage AC System Questions

Post by andrew vanis »

Gr8t73 wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 9:27 am. I have replaced all the components in the AC system with stock components (Condenser, Evaporator, VIR, hoses and compressor). The compressor is a Pro6ten compressor with the superheat feature like the original and is the only nonstock item in the system.
Is the compressor stock or not stock?

All the other items you replaced, are they new or are they used? If used, were they flushed?
My posts are the way they are based on Tim’s instructions "two images per thread. One thread per topic."
https://www.autoacforum.com/viewtopic.p ... 214#p28214
JohnHere
Preferred Member

Post by JohnHere »

The Pro6TEN compressor is a new, modern replacement for the original A6. You can oil the system either way by putting all of it in the compressor (if it will fit) as the vendor suggested. Or, if you prefer, you can "oil balance" the system and distribute it as you mentioned throughout the various components. Either method is fine. I believe the factory put all the oil in the A6 compressor on the production line.
Member – MACS (Mobile Air Climate Systems Association)

Thankful for the responses you have received? Please consider making a monetary donation to this Forum.
tbirdtbird
Preferred Member

Post by tbirdtbird »

Agree with John.
When considering your next auto A/C purchase, please consider the site that supports you: www.ACKits.com
Tim
Site Admin

Post by Tim »

While I'll never say don't distribute oil. The speed at which oil is circulated within a system. It would be extremely odd for a loss of oil to damage a new compressor from start-up, in this situation. If you have those concerns, cycle the compressor a few times at startup when charging the system.
------------------------------
Please support ACKITS.com for your Auto A/C Parts and Tool needs.

Help Support the Forum
Cusser
Preferred Member

Post by Cusser »

I'm not an AC professional.

But I use 525 mineral oil with the R-12 in my 1988 Mazda truck. I use a compressor I purchased brand-new in 2014 from Tim, board sponsor. ackits.com
Gr8t73

Post by Gr8t73 »

I appreciate everyone's responses they all are very helpful.

Thanks