Copper hard pipe - any reasons not to use?

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, Tim, JohnHere

andrew vanis
Read the full article

Re: Hose vs. Pipe/tube/tubing/hard line and related

Post by andrew vanis »

Tim wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 4:52 am I did not post a comment to this thread.
Correct. Edited the post with your quote to make it even clearer the quote of you came from the other topic cited.... Hope that's ok, if not, let me know and can edit plus can keep in mind for future posting protocol/etiquette. Citation included the link to that discussion so users can reference in full context.
My posts are the way they are based on Tim’s instructions "two images per thread. One thread per topic."
https://www.autoacforum.com/viewtopic.p ... 214#p28214
Tim
Site Admin

Re: Hose vs. Pipe/tube/tubing/hard line and related

Post by Tim »

andrew vanis wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 7:41 am
Tim wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 4:52 am I did not post a comment to this thread.
Correct. Edited the post with your quote to make it even clearer the quote of you came from the other topic cited.... Hope that's ok, if not, let me know and can edit plus can keep in mind for future posting protocol/etiquette. Citation included the link to that discussion so users can reference in full context.
You have so many cross-posts I can't understand the purpose. Getting to a point where I've lost interest in following them anymore. Others might feel differently on this topic, you have two threads going about the same topic, just hoses!

If I respond to a post. It's to that post. There is no need to cut and paste my comments or others on different threads.

PS: I have customers to attend too. I don't have time to chase forum posts all day.
------------------------------
Please support ACKITS.com for your Auto A/C Parts and Tool needs.

Help Support the Forum
DetroitAC
Preferred Member

Re: Copper hard pipe - any reasons not to use?

Post by DetroitAC »

Galvanic corrosion, copper is the cathode, aluminum is the anode, vehicles have all the bad conditions necessary for corrosion. Aluminum will be the metal that disappears, refrigerant will be set free.
andrew vanis

Post by andrew vanis »

DetroitAC wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 4:59 pm Galvanic corrosion, copper is the cathode, aluminum is the anode, vehicles have all the bad conditions necessary for corrosion. Aluminum will be the metal that disappears, refrigerant will be set free.
OK, alum pipe it is. Thanks.
My posts are the way they are based on Tim’s instructions "two images per thread. One thread per topic."
andrew vanis

Post by andrew vanis »

bohica2xo wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 6:18 am The minimum bend radius for 5/8" ID refrigeration hose is 3 inches.
What about using short-drop fittings?

Are those OK to use in the rest of the piping away from the compressor?

Say at evaporator connection? Its a gas at that point so flow dynamics may be more lenient compared to liquid? After all the TXV is a sharp 90deg going into the evaporator so a short 90 ?should? be OK coming out?
Tim
Site Admin

Post by Tim »

Alum probably is best. But as mentioned, it depends on the pressure. Copper has been used as well. Now that I think about it. Even condensers have been made from copper and are usually painted, though.

Liquid lines are almost always Alum on OE vehicles.
------------------------------
Please support ACKITS.com for your Auto A/C Parts and Tool needs.

Help Support the Forum
DetroitAC
Preferred Member

Post by DetroitAC »

The suction line impacts performance the most of any pipe or hose. Pressure drop in this line raises the pressure and therefore temperature of the evaporator.

Bigger hoses and larger radius bends help performance. The reality though is it has to fit. If you can use a large radius 3/4" tubing, large radius bends and 3/4" hose, you should. If you can't and you are stuck with a right angle fitting and 5/8 hose, well I guess you are stuck with that.

As you go larger in hose size, oil return ability suffers, so I wouldn't suggest larger than 3/4 for a passenger vehicle.

The hose/pipe size going into the evaporator has almost no effect on performance until it gets very small. Mostly sized for mechanical durability