Newbie, installing "custom" system

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, Tim, JohnHere

Mogman
Read the full article

Re: Newbie, installing "custom" system

Post by Mogman »

I am going to order more hose from ACKITS, hopefully it will fit better
JohnHere
Preferred Member

Post by JohnHere »

Good deal. If anyone can help with that, Tim can.
Member – MACS (Mobile Air Climate Systems Association)

Thankful for the responses you have received? Please consider making a monetary donation to this Forum.
Mogman

Post by Mogman »

Actually it all looks like crap. the specs for 5/16 barrier hose (in mm) is 7.8-8.6mm ID which seems like a very large variance but the hose I have measures 8.5-8.6mm so we are already starting at the max allowable.
The fittings measure from 8.0 for the Tee's I have to as little as 7.63mm for the 45s

THAT is a 1mm max to a min. 0.6mm clearance which I think would be unacceptable.....

So I have no idea where to go, I hate re-investing a small fortune to end up in the same place, if the hose was on the small end of the spectrum I could use the fittings.
The hose is Coldmaster SAE J2064 #6 5/16
Mogman

Post by Mogman »

The specs for the Goodyear hose that ACKITS sells says it is 7.9mm, that would probably work.
https://www.goodyearrubberproducts.com/ ... ge0006.pdf
Tim
Site Admin

Post by Tim »

Mogman wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 12:37 pm I am going to order more hose from ACKITS, hopefully it will fit better
Before buying more hose. Post an image of what you have. Some of us might remember crappy #6 fittings being sold on the web. Might be best to bring up your concerns with your supplier.
------------------------------
Please support ACKITS.com for your Auto A/C Parts and Tool needs.

Help Support the Forum
Mogman

Post by Mogman »

Tim wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 4:26 pm
Mogman wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 12:37 pm I am going to order more hose from ACKITS, hopefully it will fit better
Before buying more hose. Post an image of what you have. Some of us might remember crappy #6 fittings being sold on the web. Might be best to bring up your concerns with your supplier.
That's the plan, as soon as they open tomorrow.
What sucks is I was hoping to have the hoses installed by Thursday when I want to take the truck on a 250 mile jog, not that the A/C would be up or needed but now I have to assemble the truck and then disassemble it again to install the hoses later, I have been twisting wrenches for 55 years and for those that have never worked on a military Humvee it is impossible to explain how much of a PITA it is.....
POOR ME :)
Mogman

Post by Mogman »

Here is a pic of the connectors, what really got my attention was the asymmetrical crimp which I did not have when I did the #8 hoses.
Tim: I am going to make an order for a few connectors (edit no hose because of the min.) since the project has ground to a halt anyway I have time to consider my options.
I may end up having to scrap all the hose and connectors I have and start over...
Attachments
resize.jpg
resize.jpg (234.58 KiB) Viewed 1625 times
JohnHere
Preferred Member

Post by JohnHere »

I don't remember anymore whether you made mention earlier in this very long thread, but I believe you can go with either a 5/16" ID (7.9375 mm) reduced barrier or standard barrier hose, each of which, IIRC, takes industry-standard 3/8" (9.525 mm) fittings. The only measurable difference between the two hoses is the outside diameter (OD). Seems like either hose would solve the problem when used with the correct, properly dimensioned fittings.

Thankful for the responses you have received? Please consider making a monetary donation to this Forum.
Mogman

Post by Mogman »

JohnHere wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 11:10 am I don't remember anymore whether you made mention earlier in this very long thread, but I believe you can go with either a 5/16" ID (7.9375 mm) reduced barrier or standard barrier hose, each of which, IIRC, takes industry-standard 3/8" (9.525 mm) fittings. The only measurable difference between the two hoses is the outside diameter (OD). Seems like either hose would solve the problem when used with the correct, properly dimensioned fittings.
I am using all standard barrier fittings and hose.
JohnHere
Preferred Member

Post by JohnHere »

No chance of any sub-standard, out-of-spec fittings to which Tim alluded earlier? Not trying to give you a hard time, just attempting to get to the bottom of this.

To review: For a standard 5/16" (7.9375 mm) ID barrier hose, the fittings should measure—according to my Mitutoyo digital caliper—3/8" (9.525 mm) OD—that is, 1/16" (0.0625 mm) larger than the ID of the hose to ensure a tight fit before crimping.