What To Look For in an AC Machine?

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, Tim, JohnHere

scoostraw
Read the full article

What To Look For in an AC Machine?

Post by scoostraw »

I would like to get an R134a machine. The shop up the street that used to evacuate my systems for me has closed - the owner retired.

I only care about R134a as my vehicles are older and that's all I intend to have a need for.

Do you guys have any recommendations? Particular machines / brands to avoid? Ones that are particularly good?

Many thanks for any and all help!!
Cusser
Preferred Member

Re: What To Look For in an AC Machine?

Post by Cusser »

scoostraw wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 3:43 pm I would like to get an R134a machine. The shop up the street that used to evacuate my systems for me has closed - the owner retired.

I only care about R134a as my vehicles are older and that's all I intend to have a need for.

Do you guys have any recommendations?
What happened to the retired guy's equipment?

Are you thinking about a vacuum pump to do your own system evacuations? Or a fancy/expensive machine to recover, weigh R134a, and then add the exact amounts???

See ackits.com, site sponsor for new equipment.
scoostraw

Post by scoostraw »

Cusser wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 4:26 pm
scoostraw wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 3:43 pm I would like to get an R134a machine. The shop up the street that used to evacuate my systems for me has closed - the owner retired.

Do you guys have any recommendations?
What happened to the retired guy's equipment?

Are you thinking about a vacuum pump to do your own system evacuations? Or a fancy/expensive machine to recover, weigh R134a, and then add the exact amounts???

See ackits.com, site sponsor for new equipment.
Hi Cusser. Thanks for the reply.

The AC machine at the local shop (along with most everything else) was spoken for before I even knew they were closing.

I already have an excellent vacuum pump, but having a machine that does everything would be great also. I'm looking at the used market only. I can't justify the expense of a new machine. I would only be using this as needed on my personal vehicles. It seems like a lot of the older machines are coming available with the newer cars using different refrigerant.
Tim
Site Admin

Post by Tim »

RobinAir still has the better support overall, IMO.
------------------------------
Please support ACKITS.com for your Auto A/C Parts and Tool needs.

Help Support the Forum
atikovi

Post by atikovi »

scoostraw wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 4:40 pm I already have an excellent vacuum pump, but having a machine that does everything would be great also. I'm looking at the used market only.
If you also have a gauge set and scale, what more do you need? A used a/c machine is going to be around $2000 for something decent. For doing just a few cars it wouldn't make much sense.
scoostraw

Post by scoostraw »

Tim wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 5:03 pm RobinAir still has the better support overall, IMO.
Hi Tim. Out of curiosity I looked on the site for new machines - are they under the Tools tab? I'm not finding them.
scoostraw

Post by scoostraw »

atikovi wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 5:37 pm
scoostraw wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 4:40 pm I already have an excellent vacuum pump, but having a machine that does everything would be great also. I'm looking at the used market only.
If you also have a gauge set and scale, what more do you need? A used a/c machine is going to be around $2000 for something decent. For doing just a few cars it wouldn't make much sense.
I don't have a way to evacuate. And recharging with a machine is so much easier. Yes it would be an indulgence.

I am hoping to get a machine for something around $500. But perhaps I am dreaming.

Someone near me has a Snap On ECO-12 machine that is brand new with recovery tank, gauges and adapters for $1,000. It has been in covered storage since new. Anyway I am looking..
atikovi

Post by atikovi »

scoostraw wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2023 6:00 am
atikovi wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 5:37 pm
I don't have a way to evacuate. And recharging with a machine is so much easier. Yes it would be an indulgence.

I am hoping to get a machine for something around $500. But perhaps I am dreaming.

Someone near me has a Snap On ECO-12 machine that is brand new with recovery tank, gauges and adapters for $1,000. It has been in covered storage since new. Anyway I am looking..
1) What do you mean you "don't have a way to evacuate"? That's what a vacuum pump is for.
2) Yes you are dreaming.
3) That Snap On ECO-12 is for R12. Useless for any car made the last 30 years.
tbirdtbird
Preferred Member

Post by tbirdtbird »

Anyone who has a vacuum pump ("I already have an excellent vacuum pump") and states he has no way to evacuate needs to review the principles of AC and installation, perhaps by reading several of the many threads on here about how to do that
When considering your next auto A/C purchase, please consider the site that supports you: www.ACKits.com
scoostraw

Post by scoostraw »

Sorry guys. I guess what I meant to say was that I don't have a recovery machine and a recovery tank. I was looking to cover all the bases with a machine.

As far as me dreaming, I'm not so sure about that. I just missed a Snap-On ECO-134. I think it sold for something like $450-$500.