How to get to Desiccant bag?

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, Tim, JohnHere

robmaxfli1
Read the full article

How to get to Desiccant bag?

Post by robmaxfli1 »

Hi I've got a 2013 Buick Verano 2.0 and the shop manual shows the desiccant bag on top/side of the condenser. I don't see how to get the old one off as there is nothing to grip to rotate it off. It is just a "reverse dome" that I am seeing. My aftermarket replacement has a bolt head on the top to install/remove - but my original has nothing. Looking for the proper way to remove it.

thanks
Tim
Site Admin

Re: How to get to Desiccant bag?

Post by Tim »

There is a cap on the drier of the condenser. It should be standard thread direction.
G3794.jpg
G3794.jpg (32.59 KiB) Viewed 702 times
------------------------------
Please support ACKITS.com for your Auto A/C Parts and Tool needs.

Help Support the Forum
robmaxfli1

Post by robmaxfli1 »

yes - are you supposed to grip it with pliers and rotate?

I tried that but didn't move....could the cap be unthreaded and need to popped off with an upward blow? Or punctured with a screwdriver and pried up?

surprised at this design..
JohnHere
Preferred Member

Post by JohnHere »

First and most importantly, ensure that no refrigerant (pressure) remains in the system. If the system contains any refrigerant, you'll have to take it to a shop that has an "RRR" machine to recover it.

If there's nothing to get a wrench on—open-end, box-end, socket, or Allen head—don't attempt to hammer-off the plug or drive a screwdriver into it because it's threaded inside, and you might damage the cylinder into which it threads. Instead, try using a locking pliers to grab and loosen (counter-clockwise) the exposed plastic plug. Don't worry about damaging the original plug because you'll replace that anyway. But again, be careful not to damage the metal cylinder into which the plug threads. The desiccant bag and possibly a filter are located under the plug and come as part of the desiccant kit you already have.

After replacing the desiccant, proceed to evacuate and re-charge the system in the usual way.
Member – MACS (Mobile Air Climate Systems Association)

Thankful for the responses you have received? Please consider making a monetary donation to this Forum.
tony1963

Post by tony1963 »

Certain Mercedes model use this type of hardware. They are equipped with a hex on the top cap but you need to be careful as you are dealing with aluminum components and too much torque and you'll break the condenser.

About half the time I just replace the condenser.