A6 oil capacity after install with new filter/dryer

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, Tim, JohnHere

WRSS-John
Read the full article

A6 oil capacity after install with new filter/dryer

Post by WRSS-John »

Working on a 1964 Corvette. I am in the process of replacing the A6 compressor and the filter/dryer. I am finding different requirements for the oil capacity. I am hearing I need from 3 to 10 ounces. Not much is draining out of old compressor. Do I fill the compressor at the little stub that has the plug or pour in the suction side? Do I need to add for the filer/dryer change? Thank you!
Tim
Site Admin

Re: A6 oil capacity after install with new filter/dryer

Post by Tim »

The oil "total" capacity for an A6 is 10 ozs for a front-only system. You will need to account for any oil remaining in the system.
------------------------------
Please support ACKITS.com for your Auto A/C Parts and Tool needs.

Help Support the Forum
Cusser
Preferred Member

Re: A6 oil capacity after install with new filter/dryer

Post by Cusser »

WRSS-John wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 12:35 pm Not much is draining out of old compressor.
Not uncommon.

WRSS-John wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 12:35 pm Do I fill the compressor at the little stub that has the plug or pour in the suction side?
Not on A6, but when I've added oil to a new compressor, I first drain (through suction port) and measure how much oil is in the compressor. Then I add the correct amount into the suction side and manually turn the compressor drive plate slowly though at least 6 revolutions.

I've also flushed a couple of compressors for my still-R12 truck as those arrived with PAG oil instead of R-12 mineral oil (when I was working I could tell in 5 minutes the type of oil with one drop).