Continued from my previous thread: Plans for 90 civic A/C rebuild with newer gen Sanden compressor - remaining questions

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, JohnHere, Tim

90efAACIF
Read the full article

Re: Continued from my previous thread: Plans for 90 civic A/C rebuild with newer gen Sanden compressor - remaining quest

Post by 90efAACIF »

tbirdtbird wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 11:11 am ""I know this sounds unorthodox, but could a detergent (surfactant such as Dawn dishwashing liquid + water) under pressure be used as a pre-flush before traditional flushing solvents to save on solvents"

Egads, how in the world did I miss this???!!!
Hopefully you haven't actually done this, because the system would never run correctly after such a flush. Ever. Anything put into an AC system has to be non-polar. Period
No I haven't done this. Nor would I do it if a line was connected to any other system component. This was purely speculation, and what I envisioned would only have been done on a short single hard line section at a time, and dried out completely before repeating the process with proper flushing solvent.

Currently the hard line sections (seven individual pieces) are all separated at each fitting and removed from the vehicle, and I plan to bring them that way to whichever shop to do the flushing, dry them out and immediately cap each piece at each end. After each piece was completely done only then would I reassemble the system with new lubricated o-rings, new parallel flow condenser, new evaporator, new TXV, new hoses and then bring the vehicle back to the shop for final connection to a new drier and the compressor connected to the new hoses, evacuation, leak testing preferably with nitrogen and an ultrasonic detector, re-evacuation and charging.

I want this system still working when they put me in my grave.

I am reluctant to do the flushing myself because I have a health issue that requires me to avoid most chemical exposures.
Last edited by 90efAACIF on Tue May 16, 2023 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
90efAACIF

Continued from my previous thread: Plans for 90 civic A/C rebuild with newer gen Sanden compressor - remaining questions

Post by 90efAACIF »

Almost forgot, there will also be a new binary pressure switch with higher cut-out pressure (455 PSI as in the 94+ civic w/R-134a) to allow operation at higher ambient temps / humidity without premature compressor shutdown.

I'm also replacing the temp sensor in the evaporator since everything is torn down.