AC not blowing cold

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, Tim, JohnHere

2ToeRacing
Read the full article

AC not blowing cold

Post by 2ToeRacing »

Hi, all I'm new to the forum and have a few questions on how to fix the AC in my 2001 Chevrolet Camaro. I bought the car in 2017 and all was great, I had to fix the Ac last year. I replaced the compressor, dryer, and orifice tube. I did pull a vacuum on the system and it held so I went ahead and started adding freon. I had a problem getting the system to take the freon but over an hour it worked. I don't remember what the gauge reading were but from what I read online they were in line.
I put the gauges on the car a few days ago and the low side was (I didn't write them down) but I'm thinking about 80, they were high.The low side was maybe 150-ish. The compressor was running and didn't cycle.
I have had good luck repairing and charging my trucks AC w/o issue...maybe it just luck tho :lol: Any help would be appreciated
tbirdtbird
Preferred Member

Re: AC not blowing cold

Post by tbirdtbird »

1. WHY was compressor replaced? If it grenaded then the condenser is full of debris and should have been replaced. A clogged condenser will reduce efficiency
2. Gauge readings are of the utmost importance. You need a proper manifold gauge set, not just the low side gauge found on some recharge cans. We need the ambient with any set of readings.
3. Low side of 80 while comp is running implies the coupler did not make sufficient contact with the low side port.
4. Above I think you mean the hi side was 150.
5. Pressure readings s/b taken with the engine at 1500-1800 RPM, max fan, max cool, doors open, ambient no less than 80. ie you want a full load test
6. From the sounds, you are likely low on refrigerant. Once you can address the questions above, and verify no leaks, then your best bet is to take it to a MACS certified shop for refrigerant recovery, evacuation, and recharge to correct weight per the underhood sticker
7. For charging purposes, never add anything but pure 134. Auto stores sell so called 'death kits' which are cans of 134 with various sealers. The sealers will clog your system no matter what the label says. Avoid such products

JohnHere, feel free to jump in on any of my posts...I am being distracted by various life events! Dave
When considering your next auto A/C purchase, please consider the site that supports you: www.ACKits.com
JohnHere
Preferred Member

Re: AC not blowing cold

Post by JohnHere »

One additional question: Do you know exactly how much refrigerant and oil you installed into the system? The specs that I have call for 24 ounces net weight of R-134a and 9.0 fluid ounces of PAG-150, or preferentially, whatever the under-hood decal shows as already mentioned.
Member – MACS (Mobile Air Climate Systems Association)

Thankful for the responses you have received? Please consider making a monetary donation to this Forum.