Battling leak at suction/discharge connection at compressor

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, Tim, JohnHere

Ken David
Read the full article

Battling leak at suction/discharge connection at compressor

Post by Ken David »

I have been battling a slow leak in a 2003 Monte Carlo SS 3.8L

Every summer when I go to use the A/C it needs a complete recharge. I traced the leak to what I thought was the compressor gaskets (suction and discharge)- found by adding dye to the system. The next summer same issue (need a complete charge). I ended up taking it to a local A/C repair shop to assist in leak detection and they ended up replacing the A/C Suction & Discharge Hose Assembly, however here I am the next year battling the same problem. I Checked for leaks (UV) and noticed a leak at the compressor manifold line (see pics). My question is do I need to swap out the Suction and discharge assembly again or is it possibly the gaskets? Seems like I am battling a leak at the same location. Any suggestions would greatly be appreciated.

Ken David

Re: Battling leak at suction/discharge connection at compressor

Post by Ken David »

I believe the leak is shown in the pic below (red arrow).

Am I correct to assume this is not from the gasket but most likely the line they installed was defective/failed? Is the arrow area a welded joint? Or would the gasket be the problem?

tbirdtbird
Preferred Member

Post by tbirdtbird »

I do not think it is the gasket. I do not see dye on the front area, only at the pipe. I believe it is the joint where the tubing enters the block. I am suspecting some type of mfg flaw.
Most good AC shops have one good worker skilled at aluminum brazing/welding. I would suggest that is the route to take. Try to find a skilled shop, one that bears the MACS sign. MACS is the only agency which certifies AC competence in this country.

Before doing anything, please wait for other to respond, in particular a consultant named JohnHere
Last edited by tbirdtbird on Mon Apr 24, 2023 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When considering your next auto A/C purchase, please consider the site that supports you: www.ACKits.com
Tim
Site Admin

Post by Tim »

Weld or something causing the line to vibrate too much, creating a crack over time. I have seen this a lot over the years with transverse engines.
------------------------------
Please support ACKITS.com for your Auto A/C Parts and Tool needs.

Help Support the Forum
Ken David

Post by Ken David »

Thanks Tim and tbirdtbird.

Line was only a year old, suspected it was defective. I'll try replacing the line again an hopefully I get lucky!
Tim
Site Admin

Post by Tim »

------------------------------
Please support ACKITS.com for your Auto A/C Parts and Tool needs.

Help Support the Forum
tbirdtbird
Preferred Member

Post by tbirdtbird »

Ken, Tim (the site owner) has posted a link to get the hose. Tim's company (ackits.com) is THE best source of good parts at reasonable prices. It is where I get my own parts from. Suggest you consider purchasing from him. Without Tim, there is no forum here.
Dave
When considering your next auto A/C purchase, please consider the site that supports you: www.ACKits.com
JohnHere
Preferred Member

Post by JohnHere »

This is a recurring refrigerant leakage problem on a 20-year-old car (mileage not mentioned). Check the engine mounts closely or just replace them outright. Worn or broken mounts can cause undue movement of the drivetrain that might place a strain on other components, like the A/C hose assembly in question, eventually causing a failure where the tube joins the flange.

Bear in mind that there might be more than one leak—for example, at the compressor shaft seal, or elsewhere.
Member – MACS (Mobile Air Climate Systems Association)

Thankful for the responses you have received? Please consider making a monetary donation to this Forum.
tbirdtbird
Preferred Member

Post by tbirdtbird »

Agree