Hoping someone has an idea for this clip removal

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, Tim, JohnHere

SMB
Read the full article

Hoping someone has an idea for this clip removal

Post by SMB »

This is my first post, and I'm hoping an experienced person(s) can point me in the right direction.

I'm currently refurbishing a AC compressor. Mine was not working.. opened it up and it was in ok shape. No metal, but way too much oil. This was a 20 year old used car, and since I bought it it hasn't had AC.

I'm trying to replace the plate that the half ball bearing things ride on. It's got some issues. I bought another slightly different model ac compressor. I pulled it apart, and the top plate that has the roller bearing rides on is different. But the bottom plate is the same. They are both held on by these clips:

Anyone have any idea how to get these off? There are no holes to get a removal tool on one. I am hoping there is a better procedure than jamming two screwdrivers in there. I've tried to grab em with needle nose, no go. Any insights would be greatly appreciated, thanks.
Attachments
IMG_20230314_215437551~2.jpg
IMG_20230314_215437551~2.jpg (50.82 KiB) Viewed 516 times
IMG_20230314_215420340_HDR~2.jpg
IMG_20230314_215420340_HDR~2.jpg (188.81 KiB) Viewed 516 times
JohnHere
Preferred Member

Re: Hoping someone has an idea for this clip removal

Post by JohnHere »

A special tool (reverse pliers) removes that type of snap ring. It's similar to the tool that removes snap rings having holes in the ends. But instead of pins, it has what I call duck-bill ends that bear against the ends of the snap ring. Your local auto parts store should carry them in various sizes.

On a 20-year-old car, why not just replace the compressor with a new one? It's probably getting "tired" anyway.
Member – MACS (Mobile Air Climate Systems Association)

Thankful for the responses you have received? Please consider making a monetary donation to this Forum.
SMB

Post by SMB »

Thank you, I'll pick up a pair of those. I have a compulsion to tinker and take things apart. Last week I pulled the transmission valve body out and refurbished it. At this point it is not about having a functioning AC system, it's about having a project, learning something new, and add a tool to my tool box Thanks again, I joined this forum, like so many others, to learn and problem solve. Cheers
JohnHere
Preferred Member

Post by JohnHere »

SMB wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 9:03 am I have a compulsion to tinker and take things apart.
Same here. I've been that way for as long as I can remember :mrgreen:
Member – MACS (Mobile Air Climate Systems Association)

Thankful for the responses you have received? Please consider making a monetary donation to this Forum.