Insulate high side liquid line?

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, Tim, JohnHere

wetlook
Read the full article

Re: Insulate high side liquid line?

Post by wetlook »

I've been tweaking this a bit more and it's now working really well.
I've programmed the PCM to run the fan anytime the AC is on and the car is travelling under 35MPH, this helped a small amount.

This morning I have insulated the accumulator as some have suggested. It is mounted right up against the back of the radiator fan so it cops a blast of hot air continuously. This has made a HUGE difference in back to back before/after testing.
The vent temps are a now couple of degrees lower when moving, but also don't go nearly as high as they used to when stationary.

It also cycled off 2 or 3 times after installing the insulation (only 80F today), but it didn't cycle off at all when driving the same route 30mins earlier with no insulation. I think it pulls down quicker upon startup too, but more testing required to confirm this.

The recirc flapper/door does allow an amount of outside air in from the plenum so I'm considering blocking that off too.

Thanks for all the suggestions, I think I'm (almost) finished tinkering with it :)
tbirdtbird
Preferred Member

Re: Insulate high side liquid line?

Post by tbirdtbird »

"I've programmed the PCM to run the fan anytime the AC is on and the car is travelling under 35MPH, this helped a small amount."
I like this idea and did not know you could do that. Don't worry you won't wear the fan out IMO.

"This morning I have insulated the accumulator"
Also excellent, that has been suggested several times on here before over the years

Glad you got it where you want it.
When considering your next auto A/C purchase, please consider the site that supports you: www.ACKits.com