Parallel flow condenser for my 1991 Mustang?

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, Tim, JohnHere

dannyual320
Read the full article

Parallel flow condenser for my 1991 Mustang?

Post by dannyual320 »

Back in 2008 I converted my '91 Mustang GT's ac from R12 to R134a. I retained the OEM condenser but with the help of a Lincoln MKVIII electric radiator fan, I was able to enjoy 40F vent temperatures. Worked flawlessly for the next 8 yrs.

Fast forward to today. That GT sustained salt water air rust damage from when I lived by the beach in north Florida. I pulled the car off the road in Feb 2016. I now have a 1991 Mustang coupe project. I've got all of the ac parts that came out of my rust damaged GT and most of it is sitting in place under the hood.

Last night, online I found a parallel flow condenser that's made for this car. It's a UAC product (CN3554PFC) that I'm sure is china made. I know my OEM Ford condenser is a quality made item but it isn't parallel flow and it is 32 yrs old :o ! I'm sure I should buy the UAC parallel flow condenser but I thought I'd ask your opinions.

Danny
tbirdtbird
Preferred Member

Re: Parallel flow condenser for my 1991 Mustang?

Post by tbirdtbird »

At this point in time, I am not sure any AC components are USA made, whether name brand such as Ford, or not.
I would get the UAC.
But before you do, call Tim the site owner and see what he can get you; he can get good quality at the best price you will find. I only buy from him now.
ACkits.com
602-233-0090
When considering your next auto A/C purchase, please consider the site that supports you: www.ACKits.com
JohnHere
Preferred Member

Post by JohnHere »

Since it worked so well and for so many years in the Mustang GT, you might even consider reinstalling the original GT condenser in the coupe as long as it appears to be in good shape and isn't corroded or leaking. If you do reinstall it, be sure to thoroughly flush it through, ensuring you evaporate-out all of the flushing chemical.

Sure, a PF condenser will be more efficient. But still, you can't argue with 40°F vent temperatures in Florida :D

I have a '94 Toyota Camry (factory R-134a car) that still has its original serpentine condenser. Even so, I routinely get center vent temps in the high-30's and low-40's in my area's hot, humid summers.
Member – MACS (Mobile Air Climate Systems Association)

Thankful for the responses you have received? Please consider making a monetary donation to this Forum.
dannyual320

Post by dannyual320 »

tbird, I'll definitely call if I decide to buy a new parallel flow condenser. I went to the ackits.com website and entered my car's information and there wasn't a parallel flow condenser option.

Pretty much everything that I've purchased for this car's ac recently has been china made. Most of what I purchased in Dec 2021 to redo the ac in my 2002 Pontiac Trans Am was also chinesium. The TA's new compressor and condenser were made in Korea.
Last edited by dannyual320 on Thu Feb 09, 2023 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dannyual320

Post by dannyual320 »

John, that was my thoughts as well. The OEM, R12 condenser did cool to 40F vent temperature in Florida using R134a. My OEM condenser is in excellent shape and I have no doubt that it is still solid and leak free.

I have about a 1/2 gallon of ac flush solvent left over from when I had to redo my 2002 Pontiac Trans Am's ac system in December 2021. I'm going to flush the evaporator and I'll flush the OEM condenser if I end up using it.
tbirdtbird
Preferred Member

Post by tbirdtbird »

"I went to the ackits.com website and entered my car's information and there wasn't a parallel flow condenser option."
You get better results if you call Tim directly, which is why I gave his number. He has parts that are not catalogued yet.

Be sure to get every last drop of flush out of your coils.

We don't use store bought flush, we use naphtha followed by dry compressed air or nitrogen. Naphtha dries very quickly
When considering your next auto A/C purchase, please consider the site that supports you: www.ACKits.com
Tim
Site Admin

Post by Tim »

Best to email me as the spam calls are out of control. You can also supply (email only) any link, and I'll try and match or do better than most of the google shopper listings.

G3554
------------------------------
Please support ACKITS.com for your Auto A/C Parts and Tool needs.

Help Support the Forum
dannyual320

Post by dannyual320 »

Tim, thank you for responding. The G3554 is the condenser that I saw on your website but there is very little in the way of a description. It doesn't say whether or not it is a parallel flow condenser.

If not, then I'll may just reuse my perfectly good OEM Ford condenser. It worked very well before. On the other hand, I do love the idea of better efficiency of a parallel flow condenser and the possibility of even lower vent temperatures.
Tim
Site Admin

Post by Tim »

The image indicates it's a PF model.
------------------------------
Please support ACKITS.com for your Auto A/C Parts and Tool needs.

Help Support the Forum
tbirdtbird
Preferred Member

Post by tbirdtbird »

Sure looks like a PF....