Damages caused by failed A/C compressor

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, Tim, JohnHere

JohnHere
Preferred Member
Read the full article

Re: Damages caused by failed A/C compressor

Post by JohnHere »

Charles5654 wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 6:11 am Since the temperature of the air coming out of the vents was 73F, I took the car to the dealer, thinking that there might be a refrigerant leak. After checking the AC system, they told me that there were no leaks and they made the following two statements in writing:
Cause: not building proper pressure and freezing up AC lines
Unquote
Found to have contamination in the system due to failing compressor
Unquote
Thanks for that.

The first statement could be caused by a low charge due to leakage, so I think you might have been correct in your original assessment. A 2003 model-year Civic (19 years old) could well have developed a leak or leaks anywhere—including in the original compressor—due to its age. As far as you know, was the system ever evaluated and/or recharged during the intervening years? Do you live in an area where chemicals are used to melt ice and snow in the wintertime?

As to the second statement, I wonder how they know the system is contaminated (by compressor debris) because the 1-1/2 year-old compressor has apparently not disintegrated internally. Their statement seems to suggest that they flushed one or more components and saw debris coming out, but I would guess that they didn't do so.

Presuming that the dealer installed the correct amount of oil and refrigerant on replacing the original compressor with a new unit, and the system then failed to cool 1-1/2 years later, I'm inclined to think that most of the refrigerant escaped due to a leak. Do you recall noticing a slow degradation of A/C performance over time?

Where to go from here? If you have a specialty MVAC shop with the appropriate certifications in your locale that could take a look at it, I would bring the car to them—as two consultants on this Forum suggested earlier—for another evaluation and opinion.
Member – MACS (Mobile Air Climate Systems Association)

Thankful for the responses you have received? Please consider making a monetary donation to this Forum.
Charles5654

Post by Charles5654 »

Tim, John, thanks.

Per your recommendation, I will seek a second opinion.
JohnHere
Preferred Member

Post by JohnHere »

Definitely come back on and let us know the results.
Member – MACS (Mobile Air Climate Systems Association)

Thankful for the responses you have received? Please consider making a monetary donation to this Forum.