Low side normal /high side low stumped

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, Tim, JohnHere

Tim
Site Admin
Read the full article

Re: Low side normal /high side low stumped

Post by Tim »

We used thermal shield sheets back when we had the shop. Worked well I just don't have access to them anymore. I just posted a link for a type of product.
------------------------------
Please support ACKITS.com for your Auto A/C Parts and Tool needs.

Help Support the Forum
Excursion2001

Post by Excursion2001 »

tbirdtbird wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 5:18 pm We use HushMat here in the cars we install AC in.
No spray, it is self adherent. Easy to apply. Cut pieces to shape to be able to tightly cover entire roof.

Since re-heating has not been considered until just now with Bohica's post, feel both heater hoses in the engine compartment. One should be cold. If both hot, you are getting reheating inside the air box. Another way to check is to clamp off one or both heater hoses with a c-clamp or visegrips, using blocks of wood on either side of the jaws so as to not harm the hose
Heater hose is cold front and rear . Is hush mat any good ?
tbirdtbird
Preferred Member

Post by tbirdtbird »

As stated we use it, and should mention are happy with it. It visually appears to be nearly identical to the secondskinaudio stuff Tim posted.
Not sure if the thickness of the two are the same though

The Hushmat, Dynamat, and seconskinaudio product all appear very similar.
I am sure there are others.
I would for starters compare the thickness and the price/sq ft of these 3 and go from there. Our understanding is that Hushmat is the best bang for the buck

On a real hot day get into the back of the vehicle and use an infrared temp gun to shoot the roof temp with the headliner still in place.
The 3 products above will still allow you to use the headliner. After applying the chosen product, re-test with the temp gun.
Idea, buy a small quantity of the thickest one, and try it out. Maybe they will send you a sample. 2 sq ft would be sufficient
Last edited by tbirdtbird on Sun Jun 27, 2021 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When considering your next auto A/C purchase, please consider the site that supports you: www.ACKits.com
Tim
Site Admin

Post by Tim »

The problem will be, and I state again. How much do you want to spend on possibly improving the cooling?

Any of this stuff will work as far as insulation. But it's not cheap, it may not be enough, and you will need a lot, just for the roof alone.

https://www.amazon.com/Self-Adhesive-He ... eat+Shield
------------------------------
Please support ACKITS.com for your Auto A/C Parts and Tool needs.

Help Support the Forum
Excursion2001

Post by Excursion2001 »

tbirdtbird wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 6:14 pm As stated we use it, and should mention are happy with it. It visually appears to be nearly identical to the secondskinaudio stuff Tim posted.
Not sure if the thickness of the two are the same though

The Hushmat, Dynamat, and seconskinaudio product all appear very similar.
I am sure there are others.
I would for starters compare the thickness and the price/sq ft of these 3 and go from there. Our understanding is that Hushmat is the best bang for the buck

On a real hot day get into the back of the vehicle and use an infrared temp gun to shoot the roof temp with the headliner still in place.
The 3 products above will still allow you to use the headliner. After applying the chosen product, re-test with the temp gun.
Idea, buy a small quantity of the thickest one, and try it out. Maybe they will send you a sample. 2 sq ft would be sufficient
I will have to give it a stab my friend was asking me about the Same thing about his jeep as well you guys aren’t lying this stuff is expensive for so little of it
Excursion2001

Post by Excursion2001 »

Tim wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 6:20 pm The problem will be, and I state again. How much do you want to spend on possibly improving the cooling?

Any of this stuff will work as far as insulation. But it's not cheap, it may not be enough, and you will need a lot, just for the roof alone.

https://www.amazon.com/Self-Adhesive-He ... eat+Shield
Yeah I just looked at the prices it’s pretty steep lol but would there be any alternative I’m seeing these foam insulation that they use on cars as well called melamine foam
bohica2xo
Preferred Member

Post by bohica2xo »

Melamine foam has an R value of about 3.5 per inch of thickness. Closed cell sprayed in foam is R7 per inch.

If you don't mind spraying some glue to stick it down, Polydamp PLE has an even better R value than sprayed foam.

https://www.polytechinc.com/products/th ... ation-foam

Melamine can pick up moisture, not a huge problem where you are.

All of the work to strip out headliners and door panels, I would want the most insulation for my effort.

Excursion2001

Post by Excursion2001 »

bohica2xo wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 8:41 pm Melamine foam has an R value of about 3.5 per inch of thickness. Closed cell sprayed in foam is R7 per inch.

If you don't mind spraying some glue to stick it down, Polydamp PLE has an even better R value than sprayed foam.

https://www.polytechinc.com/products/th ... ation-foam

Melamine can pick up moisture, not a huge problem where you are.

All of the work to strip out headliners and door panels, I would want the most insulation for my effort.

will this stuff work as good as the hushmat ?
bohica2xo
Preferred Member

Post by bohica2xo »

All I can say is the makers of Hush Mat, Dynamat, Dreck mat etc, do not publish R values for their products.

Wrap a couple of layers of bubble wrap on an arm or leg and see how well it holds heat. Insulation rated by R value is usually thicker than 1/4 inch.

We can foam a 1 ton cargo van and it gets cold enough to transport fresh fish from Los Angeles to Las Vegas in August. Usually takes 4 inches to get that kind of performance.