Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
7 posts • Page 1 of 1
We've had this for years but now wife wants dead ac working. Clutch was fragged so got new. May have done damage w puller-Oldheimer retired mechanic didn't pull tin cover over snap ring(DUH). After removing very hard to turn w wrench. After installing clutch suddenly freed up. Except for tight spot that can be rattled through. I'm sure it shouldn't feel like that so guess new pump needed. Read that 510's capacity will make it cycle more rather than staying engaged. Wondering if 508 would be better as off & on might be more taxing for our 9mpg. Luckily my son is a fleet mechanic who is willing to help get system going again. Another question is belts- crank has 3 sheaves. 1 is power steering pump, 2 line up w water pump and 2 groove clutch but alternator lines up w front one? The water pump sheave is also 3 groove but the 3rd one is 1" ahead of the 2nd that aligns w alternator. Should I fabricate mounts to move alternator ahead or is 1 belt sufficient for compressor drive. I've been wrenching since I was a kid 34 yrs @ UofMN plus 60 yrs riding & wrenching motorcycles. I quit working on other folks stuff a few yrs back due to increasing Oldheimer foulups. Recent yrs I've been fixing old mowers, snowblowers and OBs. now the wife wants AC! That'a ok as I was installing new harmonic balancer anyway and she had my trapped under RV. Thanks to anyone who can help. GJ
only one belt is needed for 510 (162 cc) replacement SD7H15 (149.5) for R-134a and less vibration,
SD508 is only 138 cc.
SD508 is only 138 cc.
Thank you. I'm curious about less vibration of that model. Different design? Not sure if it would be noticeable w 350 cruising at 3000rpm. Can't wait to open up system and see what's what. While at U we worked on window units and had chiller training so this project is a bit of fun. Our range of work went from pencil sharpeners to diesel generators including such niceties as barn cleaners and horse treadmills.
Ok, things went fast today-must be the cooler weather. Yanked 510-there was no Freon. First hint was opened oil drain and 1 little bearing needle fell out. Stripped it and the inside looked like a knocked out tank. Ordered the sd7h15. And now must decide about other new bits. Perhaps everything should go as who knows where the shrapnel may have gotten to. Luckily I've got a bit of cash from selling some machines this summer- I had crazy project ideas for it but I'm investing it in Wife's RV instead. I made her put it in her name only as I was skeptical of owning one. Better to please her I guess.
I'm curious as to the scenario of the destruction. The first thing found was a bunch of magnet wire jammed in clutch grooves. It must have taken a lot of heat to do that to magnet. The 510's demise may have come in seconds or even hours but not instantly. As the new pump is on the way I'd like some opinions as to replacing stuff. I figure the evaporator must have junk in it but how far beyond that will fragments carry? Perhaps it would be best to do everything as the parts are all from '86.
- 100_1042.JPG (58.96 KiB) Viewed 27 times
After pulling radio se ARA tag on coil housing. Where hoes connect are large tar like globs of insulation. No apparent orifice tube. Return line is smaller braided hose with metal coupling mating to larger hose near condenser. That coupling also contains a spring loaded one way valve. My son thinks system added by Winnie or PO. Will call ARA Monday.
Things are coming along nicely-just waiting on o ring package. I've been fretting about what oil to ad so did a lot of surfing. I got the SD7h15 clone and found several charts showing PAG100 for that model. Then I saw a big hint-look on unit's label. Says PAG46. The last place to look! Misplaced wallet last week (happens frequently), Wife found it in waste basket next to 'putor desk-don't set things where your feet go when surfing!