Strange compressor behavior Volvo V50

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, Tim, JohnHere

Swedal
Read the full article

Strange compressor behavior Volvo V50

Post by Swedal »

This is a Volvo V50 that was low on refrigerant. Evacuated and tried to fill it. Compressor clutch kicks in and spins the compressor but no work is done. High and low are not moving at all. Not the slightest bit. What could be the problem here?
Cusser
Preferred Member

Re: Strange compressor behavior Volvo V50

Post by Cusser »

Swedal wrote:This is a Volvo V50 that was low on refrigerant.
How do you know this, did you weight the recovered refrigerant??

Swedal wrote:Compressor clutch kicks in and spins the compressor but no work is done. High and low are not moving at all. Not the slightest bit. What could be the problem here?
Guesses might include schraeder valves on compressor are not being depressed/opened by the fittings on the hoses or the compressor is faulty, like turning but not "pumping".

Add more information, like R134a or R-12, year of Volvo, whether your service valve kit has both low and high pressure gauges, filling from small cans or from refrigerant tank, filling by weight, etc.
Swedal

Post by Swedal »

I do a fair amount of AC work on cars. I know how many grams I put in or take out and I also know my gauges well. Did a nitrogen pressure test and gauges react as they should. Maybe it has some internal valve problem in the compressor. I will need to take it apart and actually see if it pumps at all. Any other ideas?
bohica2xo
Preferred Member

Post by bohica2xo »

That is the half Ford half Volvo with the DKS15 compressor with two serpentine belts on the clutch.

Are you sure it is turning?
Swedal

Post by Swedal »

I have removed the belly plastic to observe the clutch. I can make it spin or stop with AC button. What about bypass valves? Would I be able to see a slight change in pressures if this is faulty?
bohica2xo
Preferred Member

Post by bohica2xo »

How much refrigerant is in the system?

Swedal

Post by Swedal »

Factory charge 520 grams. I have spoken to a guy that renovates these compressors and he explained the reason for this behavior. It's a malfunction in the internal valves. Like both suction and discharge is open at the same time and compressor just pumps internally. Replacement is only option but no crap should be in the system. I should look at the oil in the old compressor to be sure. Also measure how much oil of course. This info might help others.
bohica2xo
Preferred Member

Post by bohica2xo »

Oh, it definitely has broken valves with a full charge and no differential.

There is crap in the system. Several broken reed valves went someplace.

Pull the discharge line out of the vehicle. Put one end of it in a clean container & flush it out with a spray can of brake cleaner. See what you get.

You need to flush the old oil out of the system anyway. That is the only way to get the correct system oil level when replacing a failed compressor.