'66 Oldsmobile problems

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, Tim, JohnHere

Mikel
Read the full article

'66 Oldsmobile problems

Post by Mikel »

Hello,
I was helping a friend of mine with the A/C in his car, a '66 Toronado.

The system had been working well until it lost its charge last year. We pulled a vacuum (it held for 30 minutes) and began adding refrigerant (R152A). It didn't see to be drawing much refrigerant and both the high and low sides both were stuck at 75- 80PSI, after about 10oz - The low side never went down with the compressor spinning. At the same time, we noticed an audible leak in the front seal of the A6 compressor, so that explains the initial failure. We stopped there.

The seal is an easy fix. What concerns me is the equal pressure on both sides with the compressor running, which makes me question the compressor. Am I overthinking it?
JohnHere
Preferred Member

Re: '66 Oldsmobile problems

Post by JohnHere »

It could be the compressor. Is it the original?

What refrigerant did it have when it lost its entire charge?
Member – MACS (Mobile Air Climate Systems Association)

Thankful for the responses you have received? Please consider making a monetary donation to this Forum.
Mikel

Post by Mikel »

It was an old A6 I had that I resealed it some years ago. I used a lip shaft seal, rather than the ceramic seal. It is leaking from there after a few summers of working well.

It had Duracool, a hydrocarbon refrigerant.

Thanks.
Cusser
Preferred Member

Post by Cusser »

JohnHere wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 6:29 pm It could be the compressor. Is it the original?
Disclaimer - I'm NOT an AC professional. But it seems a good time for a brand new compressor to help with both of your issues, contact board sponsor ackits.com
tbirdtbird
Preferred Member

Post by tbirdtbird »

How long did you pull a vacuum?
The markings on the low side gauge are very inadequate. If you do not have a vacuum gauge you would need to vac for at least an hr.
Also if you used the gauge markings to show that it held vac, then you were probably misled
When considering your next auto A/C purchase, please consider the site that supports you: www.ACKits.com
Tim
Site Admin

Post by Tim »

Cusser wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 6:41 am
JohnHere wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 6:29 pm It could be the compressor. Is it the original?
Disclaimer - I'm NOT an AC professional. But it seems a good time for a brand new compressor to help with both of your issues, contact board sponsor ackits.com
In this case, please do not contact the board sponsor. They don't care to deal with the issues related to R152a.
------------------------------
Please support ACKITS.com for your Auto A/C Parts and Tool needs.

Help Support the Forum
Mikel

Post by Mikel »

tbirdtbird wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 9:32 am How long did you pull a vacuum?
The markings on the low side gauge are very inadequate. If you do not have a vacuum gauge you would need to vac for at least an hr.
Also if you used the gauge markings to show that it held vac, then you were probably misled
Half hour. I have a standard set of gauges. Thanks.
Tim
Site Admin

Post by Tim »

Turn the compressor shaft using a rachet and cover the suction port with your thumb. See if you have suction directly from the compressor. A6 are pretty solid compressors besides the normal shaft seal leaks.
------------------------------
Please support ACKITS.com for your Auto A/C Parts and Tool needs.

Help Support the Forum
Mikel

Post by Mikel »

Tim wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 2:59 pm Turn the compressor shaft using a rachet and cover the suction port with your thumb. See if you have suction directly from the compressor. A6 are pretty solid compressors besides the normal shaft seal leaks.
Thank you.
bohica2xo
Preferred Member

Post by bohica2xo »

I really can't say how the POA will perform on Keyboard Duster.

Depending on what low side port you were connected to the readings can be all over the place at low charge

Side tap whatever can you are using and dump 100% of the first can in the evacuated system as a liquid. Through the high side port with the engine stopped.