1966 Oldsmobile A/C

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, Tim, JohnHere

Mikel
Read the full article

1966 Oldsmobile A/C

Post by Mikel »

Hello,
I'm in the process of reviving the A/C in my 1966 Toronado.

I rebuilt the A6 compressor, I'm having all hoses rebuilt and will be flushing the evaporator and condenser. What gas do you recommend? R134A, R152A? Propane/Isobutane? I have never dealt with a system with a POA. I plan on rigging mine with compressed air and testing its operation. Any suggestions?

Thank you.
Dougflas

Re: 1966 Oldsmobile A/C

Post by Dougflas »

Keep it R12
Mikel

Post by Mikel »

Dougflas wrote:Keep it R12
That would be ideal, but I am concerned about long term availability of R12.
Thanks.
JohnHere
Preferred Member

Post by JohnHere »

I advise staying far away from the highly flammable refrigerants you mention: R-152a, propane, and isobutane. They're very dangerous to work with, present a fire hazard should the system leak, and they're just not worth the risk, in my opinion.

As already suggested, R-12 would be best because your system was originally designed for it.

R-134a will also work, is much less costly, and readily available for the foreseeable future. But it will have a slight penalty in cooling efficiency in your application.

If you decide to go with the latter, be sure the desiccant in the receiver/dryer you install is compatible with R-134a, that you evacuate the system well (several hours and even overnight), use the correct amount and type of oil (PAG-46 or PAG-100), and charge it to about 80-percent of the R-12 amount.
Member – MACS (Mobile Air Climate Systems Association)

Thankful for the responses you have received? Please consider making a monetary donation to this Forum.
Cusser
Preferred Member

Post by Cusser »

Mikel wrote:
Dougflas wrote:Keep it R12
That would be ideal, but I am concerned about long term availability of R12.
Thanks.
If you're in USA, there's a glut of R-12, as there are few actual uses for it. It's legal to use. Most of the R-12 vehicles are either off the road or those are amenable to conversions have been switched to R134a. Yes, I understand that R-12 is still relatively expensive, and that one "should" have a 609 certificate to purchase it, just make sure your system has no leaks, refrigerant is not a consumable should last indefinitely unless it leaks out.

I still use R-12 in my 1988 truck.
Dougflas

Post by Dougflas »

If you think R12 is expensive, wait until you price R1234YF. R1234YF is being used on a lot of new vehicles.
Cusser
Preferred Member

Post by Cusser »

Dougflas wrote:If you think R12 is expensive, wait until you price R1234YF. R1234YF is being used on a lot of new vehicles.
Yet another "not better" better idea.
Mikel

Post by Mikel »

Hello,
I was helping a friend of mine with the A/C in his car, also a '66 Toronado. Yes, the one-eyed leading the blind.

The system had been working well until it lost its charge last year. We pulled a vacuum (it held for 30 minutes) and began adding refrigerant (R152A). It didn't see to be sucking much and both the high and low sides both were stuck at 80PSI, after about 10oz - The low side never went down with the compressor spinning. At the same time, we noticed an audible leak in the front seal of the A6 compressor, so that explains the initial failure. We stopped there.

The seal is an easy fix. What concerns me is the equal pressure on both sides with the compressor running, which makes me question the compressor. Am I overthinking it?

Thanks.
tbirdtbird
Preferred Member

Post by tbirdtbird »

You really need to incorporate your questions on a separate thread else the staff members such as Dougflas and others may not see it
When considering your next auto A/C purchase, please consider the site that supports you: www.ACKits.com
Mikel

Post by Mikel »

tbirdtbird wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 5:11 pm You really need to incorporate your questions on a separate thread else the staff members such as Dougflas and others may not see it
Will do. Thanks.