How to figure out oil amount for custom system?

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, Tim, JohnHere

ice-n-tropics
Read the full article

Re: How to figure out oil amount for custom system?

Post by ice-n-tropics »

Appreciate ya'll Bros,
Jesus blesses more than I deserve.
AC biz in the South in the 50s has expanded to remote areas of our world as we apply the Creator's laws of latent heat of evaporation and condensation,
There are no coincidences in life, and Tim:s service to our band for education and mentoring probably is largely influenced by his Dad's pioneering AC biz.
hotrodac
tbirdtbird
Preferred Member

Post by tbirdtbird »

Truer words were never spoken....
When considering your next auto A/C purchase, please consider the site that supports you: www.ACKits.com
Tim
Site Admin

Post by Tim »

Come on. No one can trust Texans. :)
------------------------------
Please support ACKITS.com for your Auto A/C Parts and Tool needs.

Help Support the Forum
scanvapourer

Post by scanvapourer »

Hi Andrew,

To determine the oil amount for a custom system, you'll need to consider factors like the system's components and size. Since your compressor came with 3oz of PAG46, that's a good starting point. Check the manufacturer's recommendations for your specific components, and adjust the oil amount as needed based on their requirements.
Explore the fascinating world of essential oils and their benefits for holistic well-being.
andrew vanis

Post by andrew vanis »

scanvapourer wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 2:40 am Hi Andrew,

To determine the oil amount for a custom system, you'll need to consider factors like the system's components and size. Since your compressor came with 3oz of PAG46, that's a good starting point. Check the manufacturer's recommendations for your specific components, and adjust the oil amount as needed based on their requirements.
Thanks for the reply 1) no manufacturer info on anything but the compressor 2) the compressor, though says spec is 3oz, drained 3.6 oz. I would have expected less than 3 oz since one can't get all out. Getting more than 3 was a real surprise.

Based on bohica2xo similar systems and my calculations of system volume turned out to be most similar with the E350 at 13oz oil I put in 11.5 oz to give space to add an oz or two depending how the refrigerant volume turns out. I put the same 3.6 in compressor and balance in receiver.

At the 21-28% OCR range of similar systems at 11.5 oz puts me at 41-54oz of R134a. If I get close to that 54, I'll add more oil, if oil totals 13oz I can go up to 62 oz of R134a and still be at 21% OCR.
bohica2xo wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 1:33 pm Given the very large evaporator you are using, the line lengths and large receiver in your system, I would treat it the same as an Expedition or Excursion using the same FS10 compressor with Rear A/C.

Expedition:
1997 All Eng.; w/ Rear AC – 13.00 Oz. PAG-46; 62.00 Oz. R-134a

Excursion:
All Eng.; w/ Rear AC – 68.00 Oz. R-134a; 14.00 Oz. PAG-46

E350 Van
2002 8 Cyl. 5.4 Eng.; w/ Rear AC – 13.00 Oz. PAG-46; 46.00 Oz. R-134a

So 13 to 14 ounces total.

Put the extra oil in the receiver or the liquid line.
My posts are the way they are based on Tim’s instructions "two images per thread. One thread per topic."
https://www.autoacforum.com/viewtopic.p ... 214#p28214