What is best way to seal up/get ready a system for later vacuum and charge?

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, Tim, JohnHere

andrew vanis
Read the full article

Post by andrew vanis »

By the time I get my system together it will be colder than 80deg here in Albuquerque which I read on here is not recommended for charging and I’ll still be at 5,500 ft which is an additional problem for vacuuming the system. Cold and high.

After the system is assembled I’ll be taking a trip to sea level and hotter temperatures so thinking I can do the vacuum and charge when I get there?

If possible, I’d like to leak test the system before heading out on the trip so I can just vacuum/charge when reaching hot temps and low elevation.

1) What process/material would be recommended for pressure leak testing for this scenario?
2) What/how would be recommended for sealing or filling the system with something else until reaching hotter temps in lower elevations?

Maybe leak test and/or fill with Nitrogen? at ___? psi (I'd have to buy a nitrogen tank and fittings)
Maybe install oil and receiver only when ready to vacuum/charge at lower elevations?
Maybe install a “spacer/connector” instead of the receiver for the testing and temporary sealing of the system?

Thanks for your thoughts.
My posts are the way they are based on Tim’s instructions "two images per thread. One thread per topic."
https://www.autoacforum.com/viewtopic.p ... 214#p28214
Cusser
Preferred Member

Re: What is best way to seal up/get ready a system for later vacuum and charge?

Post by Cusser »

A modern AC recovery/fill machine can do this at 80F.

If you leave the system empty or under vacuum, air and moisture can enter.

If it ever got colder than 80F here in Phoenix, I'd still fill my vehicles.
Tim
Site Admin

Post by Tim »

Cusser wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 6:39 am If it ever got colder than 80F here in Phoenix, I'd still fill my vehicles.
No one should be charging by pressure at this point anyway. Even with custom/dual systems, one can determine the charge level.
------------------------------
Please support ACKITS.com for your Auto A/C Parts and Tool needs.

Help Support the Forum
tbirdtbird
Preferred Member

Post by tbirdtbird »

Driving around without a charge in the system, even if it is not gonna be used for a while, is not a good idea.
At the very least, vacuum it down now, and install 12-24 oz of refrigerant. Top it off later when ambients are better.
When considering your next auto A/C purchase, please consider the site that supports you: www.ACKits.com
bohica2xo
Preferred Member

Post by bohica2xo »

Have to pressure check it anyway.

Pump it down and pressurize it with dry nitrogen to 150 psi. Check it in a few days. If it holds, you can drive it around like that (with the compressor unplugged) indefinitely.
swampy 6x6

Post by swampy 6x6 »

hi
First have all used parts flushed first then blown thru with nitrogen
Pressurize system with nitrogen or evacuate and charge with small amount of refrigerant is preferred . System turned off /disconnected

By comparison a vehicle that is not getting cycled hot cold and being restored its ok to have everything flushed , blown thru with nitrogen and capped
In this case only remove caps when going to charge and install pipes hoses drier