Best way to start/structure a custom system design topic?

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, Tim, JohnHere

andrew vanis
Read the full article

Post by andrew vanis »

***MODS - If there is a better section where to put this inquiry, please move or let me know and I’ll recreate there. I don’t see “forum questions” type topic in the Forum list

The intent of this post is to get educated how to best way to start/structure a custom system design topic. I’ll create that topic separately from this one once I’ve been shown the way.

I’ve seen the rules where folks are to create their own topic(s) rather than piggybacking on prior posts. AND I’m already made the faux-pas of an unaccepted link (forehead slap emoji)

SO want to start the big discussion off in the best/recommended format :)

I’ve seen the 4-page “Newbie, installing "custom" system” topic https://www.autoacforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=14853 which even got positively noticed by Tim https://www.autoacforum.com/viewtopic.p ... 749#p27749

So one approach is where everything with that project stays in the same thread like the one cited above. With that approach, some very valuable general stuff gets buried.

Another approach I could see value in each part of the system having its own topic since other things are more universal and thus more likely to be found by future readers (and possibly more noticed by and then commented on by knowledgeable members) if they have their own topic/title rather than buried in a long topic. Things like hard vs. flex lines, oil level calculations, charging of a system without a factory capacity specification, drier location, etc.

Maybe it’s a blend where there is a main topic and the general stuff gets its own topics and then summarized and linked to in the main topic?

Please advise,

Thanks,
Andy
My posts are the way they are based on Tim’s instructions "two images per thread. One thread per topic."
https://www.autoacforum.com/viewtopic.p ... 214#p28214
tbirdtbird
Preferred Member

Re: Best way to start/structure a custom system design topic?

Post by tbirdtbird »

It is easier than you think.
Simply start a new thread, in the same manner that you just started this current thread asking how to do this.
We are here to help.
Forget that you posted that link, that is over and the page has been turned, and not being held against you.
When considering your next auto A/C purchase, please consider the site that supports you: www.ACKits.com
bohica2xo
Preferred Member

Post by bohica2xo »

A few things to think about when you start a new thread for a specific problem. The title is the searchable part of the thread.

So if you want to make the information useful to someone with your same problem, and or vehicle - put it in the title. For Example:

"1986 VW Vanagon custom system design help needed"

That will let anybody else with a T3 know that information they need may be in that thread.

If you post "Help my van is hot" - well you can see the issue.

Try to post the important specific changes to your specific vehicle in the original post. Too many times we start to help someone only to find out the vehicle has an LS swap, electric fans and a huge intercooler in front of the condenser... About post 15.

As a general note to everybody else reading this, IN the US we identify vehicles by Year / Make / Model / Engine / Sub-model. Tems like C5, W123, E36 might resonate with the brand enthusiast, but to many of the people that help here we may not know what year your Corvette is to look at the specs.

Finally, be patient. Some of the professionals on this board work all day, and only check the board once a day. Or less. But we really do like helping people better understand what they are working on, and getting the problem fixed.
andrew vanis

Post by andrew vanis »

bohica2xo wrote: Sat Aug 26, 2023 8:32 pm A few things to think about when you start a new thread for a specific problem.
Thank you for those pointers! It's helpful to know how a board likes to have things done.

No comment on the all info in one thread vs general stuff in its own threads for easier future searching

I'm inclined to do a main thread on the project and then separate threads on the general stuff which I'd link back to the main thread unless it violates some preferences ya'll have here. Let me know.

Again, thanks for the response, it is helpful
My posts are the way they are based on Tim’s instructions "two images per thread. One thread per topic."
tbirdtbird
Preferred Member

Post by tbirdtbird »

I think most of us would prefer you keep all issues of your build together in one topic, else we'll be bouncing around all over the place. You should be fine, you are very articulate and very able to make this work
When considering your next auto A/C purchase, please consider the site that supports you: www.ACKits.com
andrew vanis

Post by andrew vanis »

tbirdtbird wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 8:48 am I think most of us would prefer you keep all issues of your build together in one topic, else we'll be bouncing around all over the place. You should be fine, you are very articulate and very able to make this work
Thanks for that direction...I just know that when I search, having a separate topic on general/common things is easier as a second-reader instead of finding a gem in a deep post. I'll start the main thread and also play it by ear considering the context of the item/topic is a break-out topic might be helpful....Even on the compressor spec/selection topic, now into 2 pages would bog down the main design topic - and who would think to search for Subaru compressor ideas in a VW van topic :lol: https://www.autoacforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=14872...Teh Reduced barrier topic has already been helpful as its own thing https://www.autoacforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=27794

....Now in the antique motorcycle forum, the folks WANT questions re-re-re-asked, I think they are mostly retired and looking for stuff to spout about...Here I think you folks are active in your jobs and if someone can find it by search you'd rather spend time on new questions.

Thanks for the reply, I'll do my best.