1998 Trans Am - replace compressor or troubleshoot clutch and bearing - ackits part numbers

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, Tim, JohnHere

govan22
Read the full article

1998 Trans Am - replace compressor or troubleshoot clutch and bearing - ackits part numbers

Post by govan22 »

I have owned a 98 Trans Am (TA) for about 7 years. The TA has about 120k miles. The AC system was working fine for first 4 years. About 3 years ago the compressor was very noisy and rattled - often at startup and at other times - this was without the ac running. I thought noise was likely bad ac pulley bearing. I was in a pinch and decided to just pull the ac compressor belt - the TA uses separate ac belt with separate ac tensioner and ac idler pulley. After pulling ac belt - I had no further issues with noise. Now, 3 yrs later, Id like to get ac working again. I just crawled under the car and I can spin the ac compressor pulley and it does seem a bit noisy/squeaky. I can spin the ac clutch and I can see the clutch has almost zero gap - its rubbing against the compressor. Perhaps, this was the original source of the noise ? The ac tensioner seems ok. The ac idler pulley appears a bit noisy / squeaky. I do have a old ackits tool for removing the ac clutch on v5 ac compressor- ive had this tool for about 10 years when I had previous ac issues on my old buick.
Im reading that my TA likely has a v7 ac compressor. I have been debating whether to try and troubleshoot the TA's compressor clutch , compressor bearing, ac idler pulley etc. All these parts Im pretty sure are original. Id spend some time troubleshooting and even if I repair and fix , Id still have 25 year old compresssor. I thought best approach would be to install new compressor - which would come with new pulley bearing and new ac clutch. I can also replace ac accumulator/drier and orifice tube. I have harbor freight vacuum pump and ac gauges and some cans of R134a. So, I can discharge the system , pull vacuum and recharge.
What would be the ackits part numbers for new ac compressor, new accumulator and new orifice tube (likely need new line seals and some compressor oil?) - or does ackits have a kit ? How's the ackits quality versus other compressors out there ? I can see four seasons, GPD, UAC- though I have not really heard of any of these suppliers. Thanks for any help/advice :)
Tim
Site Admin

Re: 1998 Trans Am - replace compressor or troubleshoot clutch and bearing - ackits part numbers

Post by Tim »

------------------------------
Please support ACKITS.com for your Auto A/C Parts and Tool needs.

Help Support the Forum
tbirdtbird
Preferred Member

Re: 1998 Trans Am - replace compressor or troubleshoot clutch and bearing - ackits part numbers

Post by tbirdtbird »

I buy my AC parts only from Tim (ackits.com). Good quality, fair prices. Fast service, too
Some of those other suppliers you mention (such as 4-squeezins') are low quality IMO
When considering your next auto A/C purchase, please consider the site that supports you: www.ACKits.com
govan22

Post by govan22 »

My Trans AM has a 5.7L engine. About 13yrs ago I rebuilt (case orings, shaft front seal) my v5 compressor on 98 Buick Century. I had great service and good parts from ackits and Tim, my old thread is here, https://autoacforum.com/messageview.cfm ... adid=21972
For my 98 Trans AM compressor, looks like I would need COMP V7 PV4 - 14-20730NEW Part #: 14-20730NEW, In stock $196.86
https://www.ackits.com/1999/pontiac-157 ... 7-pv4-3285

Also, looks like I need, Accumulator/Drier, ACCUM CAMARO FIREBIRD 98-02 W/HOSE , Part #: 17-0010, In Stock $23.62
and Orifice Tube, ORIFICE TUBE - GM VEHICLES - BLACK/WHITE, Part #: 43-0098-1, In Stock $1.64.

Looks like all these parts are in stock. From my v5 rebuild, I still have many green orings and some seals. I have kept these seals and orings in a plastic bag for the last 13yrs. I also have a bottle of Nylog and a bottle of PAG 150 (mostly full) and bottle PAG Blue (mostly empty).

Tim - can you verify , I have the correct ackits part numbers ? Would I need anything else ?

Thanks
Tim
Site Admin

Post by Tim »

I need to check on the compressor Monday—plenty of NEW's in stock.

Other items are correct and in stock.

Help Support the Forum
Tim
Site Admin

Post by Tim »

Only the "NEW" models are available.

Help Support the Forum
govan22

Post by govan22 »

Tim

Just to verify. So, I would need this new compressor
https://www.ackits.com/1999/pontiac-157 ... 7-pv4-3285

And I am good with Accumulator and Orifice Tube
ACCUM CAMARO FIREBIRD 98-02 W/HOSE , Part #: 17-0010, In Stock $23.62
ORIFICE TUBE - GM VEHICLES - BLACK/WHITE, Part #: 43-0098-1, In Stock $1.64.

Anything else you would recommend ?

thx
Tim
Site Admin

Post by Tim »

That's the correct compressor for the information provided.

Condenser, oil and 0-ring kits

Help Support the Forum