Sleeves in R4 Seal Kit

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, Tim, JohnHere

LAM56
Read the full article

Sleeves in R4 Seal Kit

Post by LAM56 »

Hello Everyone,
I really appreciate all of the great information on this site, and I have learned a lot reading the posts.
I purchased a new Delco R4 compressor back in 2019, that included washer seal kit 2724887 with 3 washers and short and long sleeve inserts. Finally getting around to installing it, but I have an issue. Per the instructions I am using the black and green washers to install the hose block at the rear of the compressor. My problem is the instructions state to install the short insert in the discharge side of the hose block that I have. The short insert diameter is too large to go into the discharge side, but will fit the suction side. Has anyone else had this issue? I am using R12 and do not want to have a leak.
Thanks for your input!
Tim
Site Admin

Re: Sleeves in R4 Seal Kit

Post by Tim »

They only male two inserts. MT0113 and MT0114. Inserts are to guide the hose set. They are not needed for a proper seal if aligned correctly. If GMtech is around, maybe he will correct me.
------------------------------
Please support ACKITS.com for your Auto A/C Parts and Tool needs.

Help Support the Forum
LAM56

Post by LAM56 »

Tim,
Thank you for your reply.
I am thinking since the inserts do not fit the discharge side and based on your reply, I will proceed without them.

Thanks again!
tony1963

Post by tony1963 »

I was always told that the short sleeve on the discharge side acts as a heat barrier to keep from cooking the seal on the discharge side.

The compressed refrigerant is quite hot coming out of the compressor and that short sleeve was supposed to keep the hot refrigerant away from the seal.
LAM56

Post by LAM56 »

Tony1963,
That makes sense regarding the heat on the discharge side.
Unfortunately there is no way the sleeves will go into the discharge side of the hose. It will fit the suction side with a little fiddling but not the discharge.This has been very frustrating.
A friend of mine is a retired machinist and he said he can make me sleeves, but he is in Europe this summer. He will make a few sleeves when he returns.
I am going to connect the hose assembly without the sleeve and see what happens.
Thanks for taking the time to read and post your thoughts on my issue. Your input has been noted, and hopefully I will have the correct sleeves if needed.
tony1963

Post by tony1963 »

I have put them together before without the sleeves and no issues. I don't think that every application called for the sleeves.
LAM56

Post by LAM56 »

Tony1963,
The instructions could have been better for sure.
I will wing it and see what happens.
Thanks again for your input!