Need a/c clutch coil removal help!

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, Tim, JohnHere

brucemc777
Read the full article

Need a/c clutch coil removal help!

Post by brucemc777 »

Please forgive my double post, i am not getting any response from the Jeep forum i posted in.

Working on my daughter's (OK, i admit it, i paid for it) 2006 Jeep Liberty.

All the diy videos claim there is a second snap ring holding the coil in. Not on this one, or at least, not that i see.

The interior cavity surrounded by the coil after removing the clutch/pulley looks very different than those in the videos that usually have a fairly flat backing.

No snap rings that i understand, but the internal hub almost looks like some sort of socket might be used to remove it, or a small hole that can be seen in the second picture at about the 5:30 position (where the video second snap ring usually is) might be the answer.

Does anyone out there KNOW how to handle this?

Thank-You so very much for helping me!!!
Attachments
AC Coil Removal 02.jpg
AC Coil Removal 02.jpg (73.83 KiB) Viewed 3960 times
AC Coil Removal 01.jpg
AC Coil Removal 01.jpg (79.83 KiB) Viewed 3960 times
GM Tech
Preferred Member

Re: Need a/c clutch coil removal help!

Post by GM Tech »

If there is no snap ring, then your coil is pressed fit onto the aluminum snout. Use two screwdrivers to pry it off with a rocking back and forth motion. To re-install use an arbor press, or tap it into place with a ball-peen hammer and punch.
brucemc777

Post by brucemc777 »

Many, many, thanks! Looking forward to attacking it-
brucemc777

Post by brucemc777 »

@ GMTECH - Thank-you very much, and i should of said so some time ago. All is working well now. I used a hammer and block of wood to firmly seat the coil.

I find it very weird that not one of the many resources i read & watched showed this to be a possibility - they all showed a second snap-ring.

As to the other forum i posted to, one specifically for Jeeps, still not one answer...