1996 GM Compressor Diagnosis

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, Tim, JohnHere

96Sierra
Read the full article

1996 GM Compressor Diagnosis

Post by 96Sierra »

I've attached a picture of my 1996 GMC C1500 compressor. I recently bought the truck and it had been sitting for 8+ years. I put dye in the system and have not found leaks anywhere else aside from that pictured. You can see the dye obviously is all over the compressor under broad daylight without a UV light. The AC works great other than the fact that it leaks out all 36 ounces of refrigerant in 3-5 days.

The owner said that he replaced the compressor before he parked it all those years ago. It's currently a Four Seasons brand installed, and I've got a link to the ACDelco equivalent that I plan on replacing it with.

My question is, where exactly is it leaking from? It doesn't look like it's leaking from any fittings anywhere. Would I be good to replace only the compressor, since it seems like the leak is contained to the compressor itself? Of course I've read that if you swap the compressor then to do the other components associated. But it doesn't seem like that applies here because it looks like it's just a leak and didn't send trash through the system. Everything works great, it just leaks out really fast. Seemingly leaking at the compressor body itself.

Replace only the compressor?

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.ph ... 0566&jsn=3
Attachments
IMG_38540.JPG
IMG_38540.JPG (87.65 KiB) Viewed 3724 times
Tim
Site Admin

Re: 1996 GM Compressor Diagnosis

Post by Tim »

What did Rock Auto say?
------------------------------
Please support ACKITS.com for your Auto A/C Parts and Tool needs.

Help Support the Forum
Tim
Site Admin

Post by Tim »

It's a case seal leak. Very common with this model compressor. Will have the same issue with your Delco from the rock.

Better options available.

https://ackits.net/product/14-20151s/
------------------------------
Please support ACKITS.com for your Auto A/C Parts and Tool needs.

Help Support the Forum
96Sierra

Post by 96Sierra »

Thanks yall, a Sanden it will be!