1993 Dodge Cummins AC troubles

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, JohnHere, Tim

RamGuy
Read the full article

1993 Dodge Cummins AC troubles

Post by RamGuy »

Hi I am new to the whole A/C system workings, but have learned probably just enough to get me in trouble...
My basic questions are:
Does anyone know what is different about the A/C system in 1993 Dodge Cummins truck with intercooler? (6cyl 360 turbo Deisel)
I have a 93 D 250 and recently learned that you can get prefabricated ac hose set ups for just about "every" year, other than mine...???!!!
The metal end on my suction line (at the compressor) fit into a 3/4" ID rubber hose (Hydra-Crimped on). Just about every pre-made set up i've seen has a much smaller suction line, and has a metal plate that gets bolted onto the compressor head.
None of the pre-made hoes set ups end with a female push in o-ring fitting... My Original, and brand new, compressors have two male threaded stubs cast into the end of the compressor head.

After loosing about $200.00 worth of Freon, oil, and dye from make-shift hose splices blowing out; I bought myself a hydra-crimper and am currently making my list of fittings and hoses to get.
Sigh... My new tool (that Fed-Ex currently is taking on a cross country tour - CA to PA) does not come with a #14 die...
I am not completely heart broken about paying for a tool "and then" figuring out it wont crimp a #14 line. The suction line is still intact for now.

So, another question I have is... Is it worth rebuilding this system, or did they stop making parts for it, for some reason...?

I am debating about figuring out how difficult it will be to replace the "entire" system with parts for a 1997 inter cooled turbo diesel.

* I noticed your site has the same pre-made hose set up with the plate on the end for the compressor. Part #: 34-63305
DISCHARGE HOSE 93-92 DODGE P/U 3.9/5.2L

* The compressor I bought a while back is the exact same one you have listed Part #: 20-10027-AM
COMP SD709 7702.
That hose set up will not screw onto the compressor. Also the line that goes from the dryer to the firewall is a size smaller than mine...?

* Hmmm just surfed your site some more... I'm guessing i am S.O.L. on the whole #14 line set...?
Switching to a #12 would work on the compressor end but the other end goes into an o-ring plate along with the other smaller line.
PLUS... Not sure why there is such a thick suction line on it now? Would changing the diameter of the line, compromise the system because of reduced flow?
Tim
Site Admin

Re: 1993 Dodge Cummins AC troubles

Post by Tim »

If I'm understanding correctly. Did you purchase this compressor? Was it a correct replacement for your vehicle?

https://ackits.net/product/14-sd7702new/

--------------------------------------------------------------

Every supplier I looked at shows this compressor on a 1993 Dodge D250 5.2L

https://ackits.net/product/14-2548nc/

Which at a glance is the correct hose for the 14-2548NC compressor.

https://ackits.net/product/57-2214/
------------------------------
Please support ACKITS.com for your Auto A/C Parts and Tool needs.

Help Support the Forum
RamGuy

Post by RamGuy »

Yes, it was an exact replacement of the original one that was on it.

My truck is 1993 Dodge D250 L6 5.9L 359cid
The compressor I got, that matched my old one was: COMP SD709 7702
14-SD7702NEW also looks very similar, same ports on the back of the head.

When I look up for a hose assembly, None are available for my truck / compressor / system...
That's is where my frustration lies.
My question basically is:
Is there a reason the hose assemblies are not available to match my original factory set...?
I am wondering if there were problems with the system set up for that year.
tbirdtbird
Preferred Member

Post by tbirdtbird »

Call Tim and see what he might be able to get. Direct conversation usually more helpful than going back and forth on a forum. He is a good guy.
When considering your next auto A/C purchase, please consider the site that supports you: www.ACKits.com
Tim
Site Admin

Post by Tim »

I don't see a hose set listed either. If your rubber section is what is bad? There are companies that rebuild hoses sets. Using original alum or steel sections of the OEM hose.
------------------------------
Please support ACKITS.com for your Auto A/C Parts and Tool needs.

Help Support the Forum