1995 lincoln town car limo, rear A/C

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, JohnHere, Tim

Jay0023
Read the full article

1995 lincoln town car limo, rear A/C

Post by Jay0023 »

Hello, my name is Jose, new to the forum here. Hope everyone is having a great day. I have a 1995 lincoln town car Limo built by executive coach builders, The rear passenger compartment blows 40 degrees on left side and 80 on right side of vehicle. Driver area of vehicle gets about 40 degrees as well. My question is how is the air divided in rear, are there actuators? Any information would be greatly appreciated.
bohica2xo
Preferred Member

Re: 1995 lincoln town car limo, rear A/C

Post by bohica2xo »

Hard to say what Executive Coach did when they built it - 24 years ago. Unlikely that the actual builders are even still in business.

You will have to open up a good deal of the interior to figure out what the system was made from. Some coach builders actually used the underdash assembly from a Taurus for the rear system back then...
Jay0023

Post by Jay0023 »

Thank you very much for the reply bohica2xo. So I made a mistake on year, it's a 2005. You are right the builder is out of business, no luck on repair line number. I got some of the interior opened up and it has two additional evaporators. One behind passenger seat(front)and one under long seat in cabin area(rear)

The evaporator box under long seat in rear, distributes air to left side of cabin using 4 - 2" inch duct hoses which is the side that is delivering the 40 degree temp.

The evaporator behind passenger seat(front) has (2) - 6 inch duct diameter hoses along with
(2) - 2 inch duct hoses. The temp out the box is approx 75 degrees (right side of cabin) My apologies for making this so long but could the problem be in the expansion valve? the blower motor appears to be working fine, the piping off evaporator feels cold not frosted. Any input appreciated thanks!
bohica2xo
Preferred Member

Post by bohica2xo »

Ok so of the three evaporators, two are doing well.

The one that is blowing warm, probably has a bad (or clogged) expansion valve. If you look at the evaporator, the liquid line should have a connection to the TXV, and it should be cold at that point. If not, then virtually no refrigerant is flowing through it.

Most of the valve, and much of the plumbing is likely wrapped in a tar like insulation tape, called Presstite. You may have to remove some of it to get at the TXV. Be careful cutting it away, the lines under it can be damaged with a utility knife & a heavy hand. I usually slit it a little with a single edge razor blade & pry it open with my fingers.

Of course the system will need to be recovered to remove the TXV if you determine it is the culprit. Other less likely issues are smashed hard lines restricting refrigerant flow, kinked hoses etc. Look at the lines for the warm evaporator carefully.