1991 Honda Accord A/C plugged up

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, Tim, JohnHere

thefew
Read the full article

1991 Honda Accord A/C plugged up

Post by thefew »

Summer is coming. I have a 1991 Accord Aerodeck LX with factory A/C. One of my A/C lines is plugged and I'd like to know if it's more common for the high pressure or low pressure lines to be plugged. The condenser is relatively new (aftermarket Autozone). The expansion valve is also an Autozone part. The compressor is new. The evaporator is the factory one. I took off the receiver-drier and condenser and and they are not plugged. I live in El Paso so the climate is relatively dry but it was worth a shot. When the line plugged up there was so much pressure my harmonic balancer (main pulley) separated at the seam and I had to replace it. The car has a Japanese Domestic Motor (F22B) from a 1993 Prelude and that part was a bummer to find on the Internet. So I'm going to find the leak if I have to disassemble the entire system. If you have had (and fixed) a similar issue please tell me where your system was plugged up. Thanks for your help...Summer is coming.
Tim
Site Admin

Re: 1991 Honda Accord A/C plugged up

Post by Tim »

Sounds like maybe a leak sealer was used?
------------------------------
Please support ACKITS.com for your Auto A/C Parts and Tool needs.

Help Support the Forum
thefew

Post by thefew »

I've owned the car since 2012. I did the R-12 to R134a conversion and I've never used R-134a with any leak sealer. I've also used ester when I did the conversion or any subsequent maintenance.
Tim
Site Admin

Post by Tim »

Separating the harmonic pulley would take tremendous pressure. If the compressor works and is not locking up. The option is to remove each item and blow nitrogen through them.
------------------------------
Please support ACKITS.com for your Auto A/C Parts and Tool needs.

Help Support the Forum