72 Corvette POA Valve

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, Tim, JohnHere

Sailfish95
Read the full article

72 Corvette POA Valve

Post by Sailfish95 »

I just rebuilt the original AC R12 system on my 72 Corvette. The rebuilt works well and has not leaked any refrigerant in 6 months. The only issue I have, is the bottom connection on the POA valve is oozing oil on the bottom connection 1 1/4" nut. What would cause the fitting to leak oil and not R12, also how tight should this nut be?
Thanks
Ed
Tim
Site Admin

Re: 72 Corvette POA Valve

Post by Tim »

Solidly snug, do not over tight. If you're leaking oil. You will be leaking refrigerant. Something like http://www.ackits.com/lubricant-silicon ... search=bva may help seal up the connection.
------------------------------
Please support ACKITS.com for your Auto A/C Parts and Tool needs.

Help Support the Forum
Sailfish95

Post by Sailfish95 »

Thanks Tim, Does this lube replace the mineral oil that is used on the seals. The system was sealed about 6 months ago and the sight glass, has no bubbles. I tightened the nuts up and I did slow down the oil leak, still watching to it. If I dont need to open the system what is the best procedure to add oil? Thank for your help.
Ed
Dougflas

Post by Dougflas »

Oil can be added with an oil injection tool. If the refrigerant level is correct, you'd connect from high side to low side. Then you'd use high side to push oil in low side. This does take experience to do it this way as you do not want to slug the system.
Cusser
Preferred Member

Post by Cusser »

You might be able to find some R-12 containing oil charge still available https://www.ebay.com/itm/R12-REFRIGERAN ... SwWXlcgCUy
Tim
Site Admin

Post by Tim »

Sailfish95 wrote:Thanks Tim, Does this lube replace the mineral oil that is used on the seals.
I would not take apart a connection that is not leaking. If you need to open the system. Yes, this is what I would use on the o-ring and threads.

Help Support the Forum
Sailfish95

Post by Sailfish95 »

Thanks for all the info guys. You guys are great
Ed
Sailfish95

Post by Sailfish95 »

Has anyone had any experience with tool, which injects oil in a closed system. It does not use the hi side pressure to inject the oil, but an internal piston pressure of the tool. I would think this would be easier to use than some tools that use the hi side to push the oil.
Ed

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07JH ... 5J4JFKVT56
Tim
Site Admin

Post by Tim »

I would suggest a quality product like Santech.

http://www.ackits.com/oil-injector-hand ... l%20inject

Help Support the Forum
Sailfish95

Post by Sailfish95 »

Tim,
Thanks for the advice. I order the injector you recommended, with some mineral oil ID: 12738 . Is there a method I should follow when injecting the oil;
inject into the low side on the POA valve?, compressor off or on? How much oil injected per application?
Thanks for you help
Ed