Hyundai Azera AC inop

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, Tim, JohnHere

Awesketcher
Read the full article

Hyundai Azera AC inop

Post by Awesketcher »

Hi guys. I'm having trouble with a 2014 Hyundai Azera AC. Im a novice shade tree mechanic at best, having worked on old school AC systems but this thing is confusing. I need to jumper wire the compressor but there is no relay, only fuses. Is there an AC relay on this year car? If not, Do I need to run a wire directly to the battery, and if so, which terminal do I use on the compressor? Thanks
bohica2xo
Preferred Member

Re: Hyundai Azera AC inop

Post by bohica2xo »

I don't believe there is any reason to jumper wire that compressor in the FSM.

Why do you think you need to?
Awesketcher

Post by Awesketcher »

There is freon and it holds a charge, and I have a spare ac switch handy, so I just wanted to swap that part just to rule it out. When I hook up the guages, there is no movement on the pressures at all, so the compressor is not running. This compressor apparently does not have a clutch either, so I can't physically confirm the compressor is even running. So if I remove the pressure switch, will the freon vent to atmosphere? The switch itself doesn't appear to have a Schrader valve...just a hole, so I'm concerned if I take it off the car that I'll lose the freon.
bohica2xo
Preferred Member

Post by bohica2xo »

The compressor is electronically variable displacement. It runs continuously.

There is no switch on the compressor, just the computer PWM input to vary the compressor output.

Any other "switch" in the refrigerant loop is a sensor.

Fiddling & poking with jumpers & test lights can lead to computer damage. Reading the codes is the best answer.

You can't work on new cars like we did with old cars.
Dougflas

Post by Dougflas »

I have a PDF of a 2015 Kia Optima which may be the same as your vehicle. The PDF may be too large to upload it. If you can supply an email. I could probably send it. It has info on the system.