High side too high

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, Tim, JohnHere

prairieschooner
Read the full article

Re: High side too high

Post by prairieschooner »

Thanks,
He told me yesterday that the compressor was out. I then asked him to drain the compressor into a pan so that I can look at the oil.
Depending on what we see I can either start flushing it with PAG oil or decide to replace it.
Steve
swampy 6x6

Post by swampy 6x6 »

hi
If the system is overfull with oil it will be spread around the system
replace drier
flush reoil compressor
flush condensor
flush hoses and hard line

remove clean evaporater fins
flush evap
new T/X valve

evac and charge
JohnHere
Preferred Member

Post by JohnHere »

Hello, Steve. Wondering about the status of the 1985 Toyota Pickup and how the oil looked.
Member – MACS (Mobile Air Climate Systems Association)

Thankful for the responses you have received? Please consider making a monetary donation to this Forum.
prairieschooner

The Fan was removed earlier and replaced with an electric fan, he was having trouble getting it up to temp so that it would pass SMOG.
The oil that I drained from the compressor looked great, a light amber and clear. The oil in the condenser came out milky and very funky looking. I just received a flushing tool yesterday so headed there today to begin flushing all.
I ordered a new dryer from Napa but the one that came looked like someone played basketball with it and one of the caps was missing. Not trusting that it was a new one I asked for a different one and it should be here today.
Depending on how things go I'll update when we get it back up.
Thanks again for your help,
Steve
JohnHere
Preferred Member

Post by JohnHere »

prairieschooner wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 6:53 am The Fan was removed earlier and replaced with an electric fan, he was having trouble getting it up to temp so that it would pass SMOG.
Is the electric fan still in it or did he reinstall the original fan to pass inspection?
prairieschooner wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 6:53 am The oil that I drained from the compressor looked great, a light amber and clear. The oil in the condenser came out milky and very funky looking. I just received a flushing tool yesterday so headed there today to begin flushing all.
Sounds like the compressor is okay. So go ahead and flush it a few times as discussed earlier. Remember to use only PAG oil for flushing the compressor, not solvent. I'm not sure why the oil in the condenser appeared milky. But you're replacing the condenser with a new one anyway, and you're solvent-flushing the rest to clean-out all the remaining old oil.
prairieschooner wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 6:53 am I ordered a new dryer from Napa but the one that came looked like someone played basketball with it and one of the caps was missing. Not trusting that it was a new one I asked for a different one and it should be here today.
Good decision on that. A new R/D is lightly pressurized with nitrogen gas when you receive it and should be tightly sealed with both caps in place. The gas should "hiss" out as you remove the first cap prior to installation.

Thankful for the responses you have received? Please consider making a monetary donation to this Forum.
prairieschooner

OK here is the update;
I bought a flushing gun and flushed the Evaporator, Condenser and the Lines (off of the truck) until they were all clean with no debris coming out. I flushed the Compressor with PAG Oil as recommended then filled it with new PAG Oil & Dye. The neighbor put it all together with new O-Rings without the Dryer until I could come by. When I got there I checked the lines to be sure they were tight then we installed the dryer, hooked up my Gauges and ran my vacuum pump.
When we got the system charged the A/C System was blowing cold & the pressures were normal for the temp.
Thanks again for your help and advice,
Steve
JohnHere
Preferred Member

Post by JohnHere »

Great to learn of the successful outcome, as I'm sure your neighbor is, thanks to your hard work. Appreciate your letting us know.