weird connectors

Information on some common auto air conditioning topics.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, Tim, JohnHere

w6k
Read the full article

weird connectors

Post by w6k »

My 1993 jeep has strange connectors. high pressure is a bayonet type and the low pressure is just a female hose type, How do I connect my guages to these?
Attachments
Low pressure fitting.jpg
Low pressure fitting.jpg (211.83 KiB) Viewed 7619 times
high pressure fitting.jpg
high pressure fitting.jpg (247.84 KiB) Viewed 7619 times
JohnHere
Preferred Member

Re: weird connectors

Post by JohnHere »

Your vehicle came from the factory with R-12 refrigerant. By the look of the low-side fitting in the picture, the system appears to have been converted to R-134a. That fitting takes a standard R-134a Manifold Gauge Set (MGS) low-side (blue) quick connector, not a threaded connector.

The high-side "fitting" isn't a fitting at all. From the picture, it looks to me like a High-Pressure Cut Off (HPCO) switch. But there's no electrical connector attached to it. Is there a loose connector and wire somewhere in the vicinity that isn't hooked-up to anything?

The actual high-side fitting to which the MGS attaches (red connector and hose) has to be located elsewhere on the system's high side.

Some additional questions: Are you the original owner of this Jeep? Did you have the A/C system converted to R-134a? What model Jeep is this, and which engine does it have? Did the system fail in some way, is that why you want to test the pressures?
Member – MACS (Mobile Air Climate Systems Association)

Thankful for the responses you have received? Please consider making a monetary donation to this Forum.