Spring tension for 1972 Frigidaire Expansion valve

Information on some common auto air conditioning topics.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, Tim, JohnHere

Red1970
Read the full article

Spring tension for 1972 Frigidaire Expansion valve

Post by Red1970 »

Newbie to site but I know there's a answer somewhere here!
I am installing Factory AC back into my 70 SS and using R12 since I have a keg.
My POA pressure right on at 29.5 (351 ft sea level) through Frigidaire 8205 Xpvalve
I cleaned valve and reassembled it and think hex keeper spring tensioner moved during process after lubed with mineral oil
My concern is how much tension is on that internal spring and how to set tension ie 2-3 turns in or some formula
I ordered new GM Xvalve and came in a 134A setup so I only get 28 at POA now so I'd like to use OEM valve since it flows 29.5.
Thanks in advance for any help!
JohnHere
Preferred Member

Re: Spring tension for 1972 Frigidaire Expansion valve

Post by JohnHere »

Attempting to re-set the superheat spring will be guesswork at best because the adjustment can't be made with the TXV installed in the system. You could try backing the adjusting nut out all the way and then counting the turns all the way in (gently) until the nut stops, then backing it out to the midpoint. But again, doing this will be pure guesswork. And you probably won't want to charge, recover, and recharge several times, especially with R-12, to get the adjustment just right. I would contact Original Air, tell them what you want to do, and let them handle the recalibration and testing.
Member – MACS (Mobile Air Climate Systems Association)

Thankful for the responses you have received? Please consider making a monetary donation to the Forum.
Red1970

Post by Red1970 »

Thanks! That's probably a smart move!
JohnHere
Preferred Member

Post by JohnHere »

I don't know what such a service will cost. But if you want to re-use the original GM Frigidaire TXV, it'll be worth it, I'm sure. They might even offer a warranty.
Member – MACS (Mobile Air Climate Systems Association)

Thankful for the responses you have received? Please consider making a monetary donation to the Forum.