Converting to R134

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, Tim, JohnHere

Dave in Texas
Read the full article

Converting to R134

Post by Dave in Texas »

I converted my car to 134 in '98 and it has done fine. I've wanted to keep my truck in R12 but....common sense has overcome me! I intend to convert it to 134 also. New compressor, condenser, evaporator, and accumulator units are sitting in my garage right now. I'll need adapters I know that, but main question is about Orifice tube.
When I did the car conversion, I was advised to use a Blue tube instead of the White.
Truck uses Blue tube now. Stay with Blue tube with 134?

Thanks
Retired IBEW Electrician. Veteran ('61-'67)
1981 F100 (bought new) 300-6 4-sp stock truck(R12)
1987 Coupe Deville (R134a)
2003 Harley Low Rider
REK

Re: Converting to R134

Post by REK »

What do you mean common sense ? Common sense would have been to stay with R-12.
Cusser
Preferred Member

Post by Cusser »

I'd also keep with R-12. What went wrong, like why are condenser and evaporator needed, did a compressor seize and contaminate the system??
Dave in Texas

Post by Dave in Texas »

30lb cylinder R12 = $1000, 12-15oz can = $35+ 3½lbs = $100-$150. Need new R12 gauge set too.....=$60 for a decent one. The refrigerant isn't going to get less expensive at time goes on and parts are getting, not only expensive, but hard to find anymore. Even AC shops have to dig out the old R 12 equipment and knock off 1" of dust from them (truth!). Not a lot of confidence either in the young people working at them since none have ever seen a R 12 system in the flesh. Recently I went to local shop to have my system pumped out of residual R 12. Guy first unscrewed cap from compressor cut-offs. Asked him why he did that. His reply made no sense. Then he could not find High side service valve. Had to point it out to him on the hose. Even then they didn't have the needed adapter for that valve, meaning the High side couldn't be suctioned. Free service and I certainly got what I paid for....

Look, I can buy R 12 all day long, but the cost is nutz! (eBay source only) My MACS license obligates me to follow the rules. I think it important.

Cost of 30lb cylinder of 134 is $100 and it isn't a CFC refrigerant. CFCs pollute/deplete the Ozone layer. HFCs (134) do not. My car is a 134 conversion that I did in 1998.
There are more valid reasons but I not should have to defend my reasoning. My only question was about the Orifice tube.
2003 Harley Low Rider
REK

Post by REK »

If you're dealing with an incompetent shop, that's a different problem; find another shop. You shouldn't have any problem getting the few pounds of R-12 you need for $100 or so if you ask around some. There are thousands of R-12 systems still out there that leak a little into the atmosphere all the time. That's not illegal.
It's not illegal to recharge a system with R-12 if that's what it had originally. It causes a certain amount of industrial pollution to produce the new parts you need to convert to R-134 and it still won't be as efficient as
R-12. Ask around. Ask some knowledgeable people in your area. You can find some R-12 at a reasonable
price. I know at least 5 people that were told by shops that it was illegal to recharge with R-12 and that the law
requires them to change your system over to R-134. This is a total lie and a rip-off of customers to increase shop
profits.
Dave in Texas

Post by Dave in Texas »

REK wrote:If you're dealing with an incompetent shop, that's a different problem; find another shop. You shouldn't have any problem getting the few pounds of R-12 you need for $100 or so if you ask around some. There are thousands of R-12 systems still out there that leak a little into the atmosphere all the time. That's not illegal.
It's not illegal to recharge a system with R-12 if that's what it had originally. It causes a certain amount of industrial pollution to produce the new parts you need to convert to R-134 and it still won't be as efficient as
R-12. Ask around. Ask some knowledgeable people in your area. You can find some R-12 at a reasonable
price. I know at least 5 people that were told by shops that it was illegal to recharge with R-12 and that the law
requires them to change your system over to R-134. This is a total lie and a rip-off of customers to increase shop
profits.
Thanks. I only went to that shop to have them empty my system. I didn't go there for knowledge but did observe the expertise there. I've done my own work for a long time. Not an expert at all, but a DIYer and I only work on my vehicles. Everything else you wrote I know.
Only R12 source I know about is ebay and some sold there is new from china. Not interested in sending anymore of my retirement money to that country, than I have to.
Although I've got everything needed to completely rebuild and/or do the conversion, I'm not fully committed to it yet. Intend to re-seal the hoses on my 30yr Snap-On R12 manifold gauge set. The depresser seals were in bad shape.
Changed the Low/High system port schrader valves to the new type too. Will re-vac and see what the gauge set tells me this time. If I holds, I've enough R12 stashed for this job.
My truck is 35yrs old and the only OE AC part is the condenser (except for the rubber hoses which Az Air rebuilt for me in 2011). The best way to test it is to remove and pressure it in a water bath. If I have remove it, I'll just install the new one and recycle the OE one. Same for the 20yr old evaporator.
Anyway, thanks for the response. I appreciate it.
2003 Harley Low Rider
Dave in Texas

Post by Dave in Texas »

Since last post I've decided to stay with R12. Had my OE condenser pressure tested by a competent shop and it passed all their tests. New compressor/accumulator ready to go. Waiting on new evaporator. Once that arrives I should be back in the cool air by the weekend. Happy 4th!
Dave
2003 Harley Low Rider