Driving car with VDC and no refrigerant

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, Tim, JohnHere

jamyers
Read the full article

Driving car with VDC and no refrigerant

Post by jamyers »

2016 Hyundai Sonata SE
6000 miles, 3 months old
2.4 GDI engine, auto trans
Variable-Displacement Compressor (no clutch, anyway, so that's what I'm assuming)

IS it OKAY to drive the car without refrigerant to circulate lubricating oil, or am I going to be looking at a new compressor in a few years?

A week ago, a grasshopper put a hole in the condenser. Yes, a friggen BUG, complete with bug guts and wings stuck around the tiny dent and pinhole.
I'm arguing with Hyundai over the warranty coverage, they say "outside forces" and I'm saying "defective part or crappy engineering"...

The dealer's service writer said there would be no problem driving the car while we wait for parts, as long as we didn't turn the AC on. Okay, it's not summer anymore, but doesn't the compressor want to be on in DEFROST setting? Supposedly the system won't try and turn on the compressor if it's low on charge, but...being a variable displacement compressor with no clutch...
Dougflas

Re: Driving car with VDC and no refrigerant

Post by Dougflas »

If it were mine, I would disconnect the 12 volts going to the compressor.
wptski

Post by wptski »

It's all irrelevant, if your charge is gone, low pressure switch won't allow compressor to even start so it's not going come ON no matter what.
jamyers

Post by jamyers »

I was wondering about the insides of the compressor, since the shaft and swashplate are rotating any time the engine is running.

But it sounds like it's not a problem, Thank You guys!
wptski

Post by wptski »

jamyers wrote:I was wondering about the insides of the compressor, since the shaft and swashplate are rotating any time the engine is running.

But it sounds like it's not a problem, Thank You guys!
Not unless the clutch is engaged.
Dougflas

Post by Dougflas »

b] The dealer's service writer said there would be no problem driving the car while we wait for parts, as long as we didn't turn the AC on. Okay, it's not summer anymore, but doesn't the compressor want to be on in DEFROST setting? Supposedly the system won't try and turn on the compressor if it's low on charge, but...being a variable displacement compressor with no clutch...[/b]

that is why I stated to remove the 12 volts
wptski

Post by wptski »

Dougflas wrote:b] The dealer's service writer said there would be no problem driving the car while we wait for parts, as long as we didn't turn the AC on. Okay, it's not summer anymore, but doesn't the compressor want to be on in DEFROST setting? Supposedly the system won't try and turn on the compressor if it's low on charge, but...being a variable displacement compressor with no clutch...[/b]

Ah, I see your point now! Does a variable displacement compressor have a different type of lube system not fully depending on the oil in the refrigerant? If not what good does it do to disconnect it if mechanical parts are still rotating?
jamyers

Post by jamyers »

Dougflas wrote:b] The dealer's service writer said there would be no problem driving the car while we wait for parts, as long as we didn't turn the AC on. Okay, it's not summer anymore, but doesn't the compressor want to be on in DEFROST setting? Supposedly the system won't try and turn on the compressor if it's low on charge, but...being a variable displacement compressor with no clutch...[/b]

Would you elaborate? Do VD Compressors try and compress even with no refrigerant?

Is the rotating swash plate in danger of not being lubed?
DetroitAC
Preferred Member

Post by DetroitAC »

jamyers,
My understanding of your first post is that there is no clutch.

This type of variable will spin all the time (the swashplate will spin but at a very near 0 angle).

You will ruin the compressor if it manages to lose it's oil, but I don't think that's any more or less likely to happen with no refrigerant.

If it's a Denso, there is a torque limiter coupling that connects the pulley to the compressor drive shaft, and it can be easily removed for peace of mind. Usually a single bolt. Personally I'd do that (for peace of mind) even though I don't think you'll damage it while waiting for parts.

With no refrigerant the compressor cannot try to pump, the controls won't allow a signal to go to the control valve, and even if it did it can't pump without refrigerant pressure to move the swashplate angle.
jamyers

Post by jamyers »

Thanks Detroit, that exactly the info I was looking for!