Tahoe AC battle

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, Tim, JohnHere

Yallrun
Read the full article

Tahoe AC battle

Post by Yallrun »

Hello all, new here.

So I have a issue on my hands need a little advise. I hand my stock compressor take a dump on me so I bought a new UAC compressor, dryer and orifice tube. Went and have the system evac and began replacing all three. Got done and headed back to the local shop for a recharge. An hour later went to pick it up and on start up I got a breif compressor serge. I continued to drive it home 3 miles and pop the hood. Slapped my gauges on to see what's going on. Compressor was not cycling until I revved it up, but it just stayed on. Pressure was 70 low and 255 high steady about 90 degrees out super humid. I sat there look over everything then I noticed the sticker on the compressor says this unit is prefilled with 8OZ PAG46. Needless to say I got scared and mad. I called UAC and asked why there was PAG46 in a compressor for a system that runs PAG 150? They said you need to dump the 46 and use 150, the 46 is only used for storage and shipping. Feeling this was my fault I should have noticed it I said thank you and hung up. This is why my pressures are not good, mixed PAG is a no no and probably cause that compressor surge. So my question here is do I flush my evap, condenser, hoses and replace the new dryer, dump the compressor and refill with PAG 150?

Does this sound correct, Any other suggestions?

Thanks
1999 Tahoe 4x4 5.7
Yallrun

Re: Tahoe AC battle

Post by Yallrun »

Anyone?
1999 Tahoe 4x4 5.7
HECAT

Post by HECAT »

Yes
Karl Matis
www.hecatinc.com

Please support this Forum
Buy your A/C products at www.ackits.com
Yallrun

Post by Yallrun »

HECAT wrote:Yes
Thanks HECAT.
1999 Tahoe 4x4 5.7
Yallrun

Post by Yallrun »

Well got the system all flush and blown out. Dumped the compressor and let it drain for a while turning the clutch many many times. Add 8oz of pag150, put everything back together Pulled a vacuum on it for about 45 minutes and then shut it off let it sit for 30 minutes. Not leaks whew. Now for the freon, this tahoe has rear air so the specs call for 64 oz. The old dryer says 2lbs (32oz) for the tahoe, 3lbs for the suburban. Airing on the side of caution I put 32oz in and checked the dash vent and rear air vents. Both blowing 40 degrees, so I stopped there. On they way to school this morning my son said it was to cold from the rear vents. I say it's a good outcome.
1999 Tahoe 4x4 5.7