Equinox AC compressor turna off

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, Tim, JohnHere

Santicar21
Read the full article

Equinox AC compressor turna off

Post by Santicar21 »

Guys,

I need your assistance. My SUV in the morning my AC compresosr works fine. Driving suddenly it turna off. Its not going to work until I disconnect the battery and connect it again.

After that it starts working again.

Do you know where I can start looking for the issue?

I will appreciate any Guidance
Thank you
GM Tech
Preferred Member

Re: Equinox AC compressor turna off

Post by GM Tech »

Are you sure it is not just time related? as in the compressor has to cool off? Can't think of any reason disconnecting the battery will help- unless it is setting a low charge code I'm not aware of. You may want to have codes read- an a/c code will not usually set the service engine light-

If it is just time related- then I have a pretty good idea of what it is...So next time it happens, let it sit overnight and see if it kicks on next morning without unhooking battery...then let us know...
Santicar21

Post by Santicar21 »

The peoblem is that happens it happens at the middle of the day. Its so hot that this os the only solution. I will try it.

So you just want me to leave it like that and see it it turns back on?
GM Tech
Preferred Member

Post by GM Tech »

Yes- it could be a wide air gap issue on compressor clutch- when electromagnetic coil warms resistance shoots up and is unable to magnetically pull in the armature plate--if front of compressor is accessible- you can tap on it with a wooden hammer handle and see if it snaps into action- this is after it is off when it should be on- and you pull over, pop the hood, leave engine and a/c on, and observe the front of compressor.

There is an easy fix, (no money) if this is the case...
Santicar21

Post by Santicar21 »

I left it overnight and did not turn on. Now that im looking at the issue this is what happen:

After i reset the battery this is what happen:

1. I turn on the A/C and it works
2. After 10 min running, it shuts off the compressor and a light on the dashboard lights up "engine hot AC off" but the gauge (temp) is lower than the middle, so the motor is not hot.
3. I let it cool down, and it still dont turn on.

I need to reset the battery. If i do that it works fine. Have to do all this after it shuts off.

Equinox 2008 (canada manufacturer)
GM Tech
Preferred Member

Post by GM Tech »

Well, now we get more hints-- obviously the car thinks the engine is running hot-- so you need to have the engine temp sensor circuit looked at- there are sometimes two sensors, one for the dash gauge and one for the computer- so have the computer sensor checked- or just google the engine code you described.
Santicar21

Post by Santicar21 »

So the computer should pick it right?? Who can i check that?
mk378

Post by mk378 »

The better DIY scanners can give you a real-time readout of what the computer thinks the engine temperature is. Before you start after being parked overnight, it should report close to what the outdoor or garage temperature was.

Or you can just try a new sensor.
GM Tech
Preferred Member

Post by GM Tech »

Any Autozone type outlets will read your codes for free....
Santicar21

Post by Santicar21 »

So most likely is the temp sensor.. Do you know what sensor is that? Thanks for all your advise..