R134 service port leaks

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, JohnHere, Tim

kreim
Read the full article

R134 service port leaks

Post by kreim »

A 94 Honda and an 03 Vibe both have leaking Schrader valves, replacing schraders with new A/C valves did not help, had to tighten down caps to stop leaks. Both cars had new lines installed and the valves leaked on them also. Now it seems one discussion says the cap is the primary seal , news to me. Like to here some comment on the subject.
Jag987

Re: R134 service port leaks

Post by Jag987 »

yup, a little leak is normal. I try to tighten them if they are leaking a little. If I pull my coupler off and they are spraying, I put the cap on long enough to pull out the tools to replace them. I bought a kit to replace them without evacuating the system so it is not a very big deal at all to replace one. They all leak some, and yes the cap is the primary seal. Make sure the cap has a rubber seal in it.
I bought a can of freon at supermart. It had dye, oil, and stop leak in it. It also came with a hose and a gauge. Now I'm an ac professional!!!
Dave in Texas

Post by Dave in Texas »

"I bought a kit to replace them without evacuating the system"

really? How does that work and where to find? I've got one leaking on the High side. Cap keeps it in check, but I'd like to replace it so I can use my gauge. Thanks
Retired IBEW Electrician. Veteran ('61-'67)
1981 F100 (bought new) 300-6 4-sp stock truck(R12)
1987 Coupe Deville (R134a)
2003 Harley Low Rider
Tim
Site Admin

Post by Tim »

Dave in Texas wrote:"I bought a kit to replace them without evacuating the system"

really? How does that work and where to find? I've got one leaking on the High side. Cap keeps it in check, but I'd like to replace it so I can use my gauge. Thanks

http://www.ackits.com/mastercool-servic ... ver--24673
------------------------------
Please support ACKITS.com for your Auto A/C Parts and Tool needs.

Help Support the Forum
Dave in Texas

Post by Dave in Texas »

Thanks Tim for the info.
Sometime soon I'll be changing the compressor/etc. on my Deville due to front seal leak. When I get around to dealing with that project, I'll replace the valves with new ones rated for AC. (new compressor installed in '96) Car not a daily driver is main reason for service length.
Retired IBEW Electrician. Veteran ('61-'67)
1981 F100 (bought new) 300-6 4-sp stock truck(R12)
1987 Coupe Deville (R134a)
2003 Harley Low Rider
Cusser
Preferred Member

Post by Cusser »

Jag987 wrote:yup, a little leak is normal. I try to tighten them if they are leaking a little.... They all leak some, and yes the cap is the primary seal. Make sure the cap has a rubber seal in it.
Good caps are important part of the system.
ice-n-tropics

Post by ice-n-tropics »

1) New charging valves typically have a light oil film which aids in sealing. When servicing any elastomer in a A/C system, best practice is to apply lube
2) Refrigerant flow through the charging valve washes off all oil from the sealing surfaces
3) OEM charging is into the high side charging valve only
4) OEMs rely on the tight charging valve cap to seal refrigerant especially on the high side, therefore just get use to it
hotrodac