2008 Honda Pilot A/C problem Help PLEASE!

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, Tim, JohnHere

Larry75
Read the full article

2008 Honda Pilot A/C problem Help PLEASE!

Post by Larry75 »

Hello, I have a 2008 Honda Pilot. The AC stopped working about a month ago. I figured out the compressor was locked up. Replaced the Compressor, Condenser and desiccant filter. Pulled a strong vacuum and recharged with oil and refrigerant. The AC get cold, very cold but then starts kicking in and out. I read in another forum about problems with the relays so I replaced all three relays with the new version directly from Honda.

The unit gets cold then after a while starts kicking in and out. You can put your finger on the relay and feel the relay click. The AC fans stop and go at the same time the AC Clutch kicks in and out.

At this point I don't know what to check next.

Replaced

AC Compresser
Condenstor
3 Relays.
New Freon (100% sure it is properly charged)

ANY EXPERIENCE HERE WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!
JohnHere
Preferred Member

Re: 2008 Honda Pilot A/C problem Help PLEASE!

Post by JohnHere »

Larry, my references say that the capacities for your vehicle are 24.7 to 26.5 ounces of R-134a and 9 ounces of PAG-46.

How much oil did you put in it and where? Did you distribute it among the new components or put it all in the compressor?

Did you use a manifold gauge set and refrigerant scale to charge it or did you charge from the small 12-ounce cans? Hopefully, you used pure R-134a without any sealers or enhancers.

While the compressor is running and not cutting off and on, what high-side and low-side pressures are you seeing with the engine at 1,800 RPM, blower on high, and windows open? What center vent temps are you seeing during this time, and what is the ambient temperature in front of the condenser?

With the compressor cycling off and on like that, I suspect that it's bumping into the HPCO, possibly caused by too much refrigerant, oil, or both...or insufficient evacuation of air and moisture.
Member – MACS (Mobile Air Climate Systems Association)

Thankful for the responses you have received? Please consider making a monetary donation to this Forum.