AC Doesn't Work

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, Tim, JohnHere

greghamilton
Read the full article

AC Doesn't Work

Post by greghamilton »

Hello, new to this forum. How are you all doing? I have a 2000 Chevy Silverado that the AC only blows hot air. I attempted to add freon today, but instead I found a leaking hose that goes from the cannister to the condenser. I replaced that as it had developed a hole rubbing on a metal hose for 312K miles. Before replacing the hose, the pressure never built up, I guess the stop leak didn't work. After replacing the hose, I filled till the beginning of the yellow area on the gauge. Still doesn't cool and this is just sitting in the driveway. I cleaned off the condenser, still nothing. Could it still be the compressor even though it turns? Could it be a fuse? Thanks.
Cusser
Preferred Member

Re: AC Doesn't Work

Post by Cusser »

greghamilton wrote:Hello, new to this forum. How are you all doing? I have a 2000 Chevy Silverado that the AC only blows hot air. I attempted to add freon today, but instead I found a leaking hose that goes from the cannister to the condenser. I replaced that as it had developed a hole rubbing on a metal hose for 312K miles. Before replacing the hose, the pressure never built up, I guess the stop leak didn't work. After replacing the hose, I filled till the beginning of the yellow area on the gauge. Still doesn't cool and this is just sitting in the driveway. I cleaned off the condenser, still nothing. Could it still be the compressor even though it turns? Could it be a fuse? Thanks.
Adding Stop Leak or sealer might be a game-ending move, a huge mistake.

More mistakes: sounds like accumulator was not replaced, sounds like system was not evacuated of moisture air, sounds like real gauge set and addition of R134a by weight was not done.
JohnHere
Preferred Member

Post by JohnHere »

Cusser is correct.

Unfortunately, unsuspecting folks think that the "miracle charge-and-seal in a can" is a good thing. But it's actually just the opposite. Sealer, a.k.a stop-leak, can and usually does clog up a system to the point of total ruin. Knowing that sealer is in a system, professional A/C shops will refuse to work on it because the sealer would destroy their expensive equipment, too. I wish that stores would just stop selling it.

That being said, you're probably looking at a total system replacement. Given the vehicle's age and mileage, you'll have to decide whether its worth the considerable expense for all new components.
Member – MACS (Mobile Air Climate Systems Association)

Thankful for the responses you have received? Please consider making a monetary donation to this Forum.
greghamilton

Post by greghamilton »

I wanted to give an update on this post in case anybody ever runs into this again. I was able to work with a friend from work that knows a lot about AC work. We installed a new accumulator and orifice tube, then pulled a vacuum on the system and checked the leak rate. Found a couple of leaks. One was where an o-ring was sticking out of a fitting that looked like a schrader valve but wasn't, but rather something like a ball bearing pushing up against an o-ring. Had to push the o-ring back down with a pair of hemostats, that fixed one leak. Then found where when I had replaced the line earlier that I installed the big green o-ring that came with the line up against the metal/rubber gasket. I removed the o-ring and just left the gasket and that fixed another leak. After this, we got a good leak rate. Then we pumped on the system for about half an hour and he added freon. I turned on the AC on high for about 15 minutes and it fogged up the windows so bad I couldn't even see in the truck. It's awesome to have AC again here in Texas about to go into August. Very thankful did not have to donate a kidney to get it working. Cost me $42 for the accumulator and orifice tube, then bought his dinner a couple of times to reimburse for the freon.