A/C readings all over the place

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, JohnHere, Tim

justintime
Read the full article

A/C readings all over the place

Post by justintime »

2002 explorer 4.0 With rear ac. Knob style ac panel.

The a/c blows about 49 to 56 degrees driving down the highway, the very left vent on the driver side is above 60. I used a temp gauge in the center vent and watched. I also noticed
that when I am at idle the temperature rises rather quickly.

So of course I go buy an a/c pro can which comes with the low side gauge. While running it was at 40 psi in 105 degrees outside so I bumped it up to 45 psi, of course it didnt make a difference.

I do more research and find that the fresh air door is a common problem, the actuator is broke so I just wedged something in there to keep it closed. Still have a problem.

I got a set of gauges so I could read the low and high side. I hook it up and the readings on the high side skyrockets in psi along with the low side. The gauges were maxed out. So I thought to myself this pos gauge that came with the can is wrong. But when I close the knob on the high side at the pressure port the low side drops to around 45 psi. What am I overlooking here?

I do the touch and feel tests and the low side is cold than warm. The system takes 56 oz. The fan clutch doesnt free spin when I rotate it manually, it feels normal.

I cleaned the condenser and radiator with a pressure hose by blowing all the crud out from the back side.

My wife hates me right now.

I was a Chrysler Mechanic for over 35 years. I retired and forgot how a basic a/c system works.

Don’t be too hard on me, why I didn’t throw the gauges on first? I’m already wondering the same thing. As for why I can’t figure it out...should have just told the wife my brain is tired of cars and let the new generation of mechanics fix this.
bohica2xo
Preferred Member

Re: A/C readings all over the place

Post by bohica2xo »

The valves on the manifold set remain Closed when evaluating a system The high side valve should stay closed any time the compressor is running.

Test the system with both valves on the manifold closed. Run at idle & record the pressures & the ambient temperature. Post the results.

justintime

Re: A/C readings all over the place

Post by justintime »

I installed a a/c kit this morning, got the condenser, compressor, accumlator, orfice tube at cost for $380.00.

Remember don’t take your vehicles to the dealer because this is how diagnostics go for flate rate mechanics.

It’s some autozone junk( yikes) that is working great for now, but atleast I can go back to drinking beer in my man cave.