2005 Dodge 3500 AC issue

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, Tim, JohnHere

dodge1080
Read the full article

2005 Dodge 3500 AC issue

Post by dodge1080 »

Bought a truck that AC was not working, was told I just needed to install the serpentine belt to hook up compressor and it would be good to go. Surprise surprise, that is not the case. Been chasing the issue for a few days and hoping you guys can help.

When I turn on my AC it runs right for about 30-45 seconds with gauges in the right ranges, blows cool air. Then you can watch the High Pressure gauge climb up to 300+ PSI. At this point the compressor kicks off and the Low Pressure gauge pegs out. Turn off AC for 2-3 minutes and then I can turn it on to start cycle over with a short period of cool air coming from vents.

Originally thought there was a blockage in the liquid orifice tube but I swapped that out today and same issue.

I have vacuumed system multiple times and recharged with correct amount of coolant and there is where I am at now.

My next thought is to replace the condenser, but before i throw more money at this I am hoping someone can give me some guidance, I am a IT guy, just know enough to be dangerous with cars.

Thanks in advance!
jeepsj

Re: 2005 Dodge 3500 AC issue

Post by jeepsj »

Cooling fan engaging? Sounds like you aren't pulling enough heat out of the condenser. Try misting it with water and see if the pressures come back down.

How were you able to fill it if the pressures spike after 30-45 seconds?
99 Jeep XJ
87 Jeep Grand Wagoneer - 6.5 turbodiesel
87 Chevy CC Dually