97 Toyota LandCruiser Warmish Vents, Replacing Condenser with Parallel Flow

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, Tim, JohnHere

Dissent
Read the full article

97 Toyota LandCruiser Warmish Vents, Replacing Condenser with Parallel Flow

Post by Dissent »

My 97 Landcriuser (80 series) was serviced twice in my 5 years owning it at the dealer. I've modded the fan clutch with 23K oil so its pulling much more air and I have an aux. Fan from a 100 series Landcruiser. Sounds like a jet taking off all summer. Feeway driving gets to 50 at the vent, normal street driving is 70 at the vent. Dealer checked and charged original R134 system last July and replaced a leaking Schrader valve. Drier may be original. Sight glass is crystal clear for 3 sec. Then cloudy for 10 sec.

I've ordered Yellowjacket gauges, 30lb of refrigerant, vacuum pump, new drier and a Denso condenser P/N 477-0554 which SAYS it's a Parallel Flow model but I cannot confirm. I've no idea what OEM condenser is, the ends are boxed (anyone know?). I'm planning on checking the charge/pressures and replacing the drier. While I'm in there, I'm replacing the condenser in hopes of gaining more efficiency.

Based on the vent temps while on the freeway, it seems low on refrigerant but based on the street temps it could be cond4nser airflow AND low charge. Could it be a bad compressor? I know you need pressures too, be a few days for those.

Future plans are to add a rear evaporator but I have to deal with this in the time being.

Any help or advice would be immensely appreciated.
Dissent

Re: 97 Toyota LandCruiser Warmish Vents, Replacing Condenser with Parallel Flow

Post by Dissent »

The Denso unit arrived, it's definitely a Serpentine unit.

I have found a Nissens condenser P/N 94184 that is a true Parallel Flow unit!

I just ordered one from Rock Auto. Here's some links:

Rock Auto: https://www.rockauto.com/en/parts/nisse ... enser,6708

Nissen Online Catalog for P/N 94184: Nissens Customer Portal