Low Side Recharge

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, Tim, JohnHere

arty4444
Read the full article

Low Side Recharge

Post by arty4444 »

Hi, I accidentally released a small unknown amount of refrigerant after which my car AC seemed to still cool at about the same level as before and remained that way for the last year until the current heat wave during which it still cools but not enough. I'm sure I used the 18 oz recharge kit properly emptying the canister and the AC was definitely cooling better.
The problem is that the initial pressure reading on the kit was 35 psi and so was the ending pressure. A different gauge adter recharge also indicated 35 psi. At ambient temp above 90 I was shooting for 45 psi. I'm sure my readings were correct so how could I start at 35 psi, empty 18 oz's, get better cooling and end at same 35 psi ? Although improved it seems I used to get a little better cooling but am afraid to add more refrigerant until I understand why pressure remains at 35 psi. Thanks for any info.
Cusser
Preferred Member

Re: Low Side Recharge

Post by Cusser »

arty4444 wrote:I'm sure I used the 18 oz recharge kit properly emptying the canister and the AC was definitely cooling better.
1. I sure hope that "recharge kit" contained NO SEALERS.

2. One cannot really judge fill with just a low side gauge; doing that with low and high pressure readings at 1500 rpm is still a crapshoot. Only real way is to have refrigerant evacuated and weighed. However: shops may not do this or anything else if you've added sealer.....
arty4444

Post by arty4444 »

Cusser wrote:
arty4444 wrote:I'm sure I used the 18 oz recharge kit properly emptying the canister and the AC was definitely cooling better.
1. I sure hope that "recharge kit" contained NO SEALERS.

2. One cannot really judge fill with just a low side gauge; doing that with low and high pressure readings at 1500 rpm is still a crapshoot. Only real way is to have refrigerant evacuated and weighed. However: shops may not do this or anything else if you've added sealer.....
Sealers were intentionally avoided.
In S. Florida AC repair shops are also intentionally avoided as chances are unfortunately quite high that you'll come out with expensive problems you didn't go in with. Not pessimism just the unfortunate reality.
With pressure readings a crap shoot I'll go by performance and add more refrigerant. I'm 99% sure I no longer have a leak and with 18 oz's getting me most of the way back to the cool I remember before the (fixed) leak I'll add 3 or 4 oz's a day up to 12 oz's max to see if I can "chill" once again. Thanks
Cusser
Preferred Member

Post by Cusser »

arty4444 wrote:In S. Florida AC repair shops are also intentionally avoided as chances are unfortunately quite high that you'll come out with expensive problems you didn't go in with. Not pessimism just the unfortunate reality.
How about a top-rated independent ASE auto mechanic? Ask your friends or maybe even a local online list of such, if you don't have one.

I understand about trying a dealer or unknown chain or shop.....if I needed AC help myself in Phoenix, I'd use the independent ASE mechanic that I've used about once a year (for other stuff) that I trust. I used him to install a compressor/accumulator in a 1994 Suburban we bought with compressor leak/noise back in 2000, watched him every step of the way. I did compressors in our 2005 Yukon, 1988 Mazda truck (R-12) myself.
bohica2xo
Preferred Member

Post by bohica2xo »

Aw come on Cusser - you know everybody in automotive is a crook! Besides, an A/C system is just like a tire - you put little more in, let a little out until you like how it feels. And that big blue can says PRO right on it - just holding it's plastic fill valve makes you a pro too! (end sarcasm)

Honestly I miss the old HC hucksters.
This magic in a can with a hose attached at every walmart is even worse. I am still laughing at the post on here the other day where the poster got the PRO can stuck on the car & was going to drive it to the mechanic that way.