AC Compressor Leak

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, Tim, JohnHere

Drake3025
Read the full article

AC Compressor Leak

Post by Drake3025 »

Hello all,

I have a 2010 Chevy cobalt and the AC recently went out. I added a can of refrigerant with dye, I noticed a leak coming from the backside of the compressor coming from a nut. Is this repairable or is the compressor junk? Thanks.
bohica2xo
Preferred Member

Re: AC Compressor Leak

Post by bohica2xo »

2.0 or 2.2 ?
Drake3025

Post by Drake3025 »

Drake3025

Post by Drake3025 »

Actually more like a bolt in the center of the compressor housing (opposite side of the pulley)
bohica2xo
Preferred Member

Post by bohica2xo »

Can you get a wrench on that case plug & make sure it is tight?

It is only a 12mm thread In to aluminum, so don't go crazy. But it should be tight.

If the leak persists the seal for the plug needs to be replaced.

The two seals where the hose manifold mounts are the more common leak. Any way the leakage is from that area & making it's way to the plug?
Drake3025

Post by Drake3025 »

I can get a wrench on the plug. When I get off work I will make sure it is tight and also check for leaks on the hose manifold seals. If it is the plug seal, any idea where I can buy a replacement? Also since there is a leak on the system do I just need to repair the leak evacuate and recharge or is there other issues that the leak causes? Thanks for all the help I appreciate it.
Drake3025

Post by Drake3025 »

Is the plug the pressure relief valve?
bohica2xo
Preferred Member

Post by bohica2xo »

I really can't say. It shows as a plug on my info. The 2.0 does have the HPRV on the back, but it is brass & sits at 90 degrees to the compressor body.

Do you believe that you may have had a high pressure incident? Was there a venting of refrigerant?

If it is just a leak, then evac & recharge is usually all that is needed. If you have had high pressure issues, then correcting the problem is in order. Dirty condenser or failed fans are common causes of high pressures.
Drake3025

Post by Drake3025 »

No high pressure issues that I am aware of. I will check the plug and hoses tonight and see what I can find. Thanks
Drake3025

Post by Drake3025 »

Ok so I verified that the pressure relief plug was tight. I cleaned the compressor and could see new die coming from the plug. I ordered a new pressure relief plug and will switch it out later today. My question is since I’m switching out the plug, will I need to add oil to the compressor or just evacuate and recharge after the repair?