R4 questions

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, Tim, JohnHere

kenimpzoom
Read the full article

R4 questions

Post by kenimpzoom »

First off the car...its a 65 Studebaker, but someone graphted on a G-Body front end and so the AC system is non stock. I made none of these mods, but i have worked on cars forever so I know what I am doing around stuff, not so much on AC units. :D

It has an underdash ac unit which uses an expansion valve and R4 compressor. When I got the car it was 100% empty of freon. I flushed it good, changed the dryer and charged it up with R134. Worked pretty good. Then it leaked out. Then I charged it, then I found the leak on the back of the compressor.

So here is the problem..the old compressor manifold bolt hole stripped out and wont hold. That was fun when I tried to tighten it and it blew! So I need a new compressor. Old compressor was PN 1134354

Problem is, which new one will work and what gaskets to use on the manifold.

My orginal compressor has a small clutch and stepped manifold holes.

I got a 4 seasons PN 57231 which has the larger clutch with small bolts on the perimiter and the flat manifold holes with o-rings. I tried to match up differnt compressors, but they all looked like this one. Did they all convert to flat manifold and large clutch?

First, will my manifold work with this new style compressor, and second, what difference does the clutch make? Third, which o-rings/gaskets do I use if I can use this one.

Thanks, Ken
Attachments
Old manifold.jpg
Old manifold.jpg (22.92 KiB) Viewed 5519 times
Old clutch.jpg
Old clutch.jpg (90.69 KiB) Viewed 5519 times
Last edited by kenimpzoom on Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kenimpzoom

Re: R4 questions

Post by kenimpzoom »

My current hose manifold.
Attachments
Hose manifold2.jpg
Hose manifold2.jpg (77.64 KiB) Viewed 5518 times
Hose Manifold.jpg
Hose Manifold.jpg (84.39 KiB) Viewed 5518 times
Last edited by kenimpzoom on Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kenimpzoom

Post by kenimpzoom »

This is what the new unit looks like
Attachments
New clutch.jpg
New clutch.jpg (87.36 KiB) Viewed 5516 times
New Manifold.jpg
New Manifold.jpg (24.37 KiB) Viewed 5516 times
kenimpzoom

Post by kenimpzoom »

Found this, but I want more opinions. http://www.4s.com/media/4913612/-AB319- ... ashers.pdf

Post by 71403 »

Flat hose block with non-stepped o-ring compressor is ok as-is. Are you saying it had a stepped port compressor with that flat hose block? That would require "pilots" or stack of washers neither of which I like to do.

Tho I'd be more concerned about kink on the discharge line.....
kenimpzoom

Post by kenimpzoom »

Thanks.

The new compressor didn't quite bolt up right so I got the old compressor working.

I used a stud with proper metric threads and JB WELDed it into the compressor manifold and torqued up the manifold and it holds good now.

I will upgrade to a Sanden compressor this winter.

Ken