Am I low on freon??

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, Tim, JohnHere

dsar592
Read the full article

Am I low on freon??

Post by dsar592 »

2006 dodge Durango. 87 degree outside temperature. Looking at the temperature pressure chart and the group pressure readings for 85 degrees ambient temp, my pressures should be 45-55 low side and 225-250 high side. My pressures are reading 35-39 low side and 225-250 high side. I'm getting an inside vent temp anywhere from 48-50 on the right side of my vehicle and 58-60 on the left side of my vehicle. Also I live on the Gulf coast but I just recently got back from Chattanooga area and the whole way up there the a/c worked great. But, once in the mountains it just didn't seem like it was blowing air like it should. Even if put on manual mode. The again worked good on the way home. Now it just comes and goes so I'm wondering if it needs a little Freon. Thanks Ken
Cusser
Preferred Member

Re: Am I low on freon??

Post by Cusser »

dsar592 wrote:2006 dodge Durango. Now it just comes and goes so I'm wondering if it needs a little Freon.
Your 2006 Dodge Durango doesn't use freon, that's R-12. You might be a few oz. low of R134a. Don't add any refrigerant containing SEALERS !!!
dsar592

Post by dsar592 »

Thanks.
JohnHere
Preferred Member

Post by JohnHere »

Ken, I had a few more thoughts on your '06 Durango.

At 87 degrees ambient, your high pressures are pretty good, but I think your low side is a bit elevated. Consider this: A low side of around 40 PSI will yield an evaporator temp of about 45 degrees and center vent air of 50 degrees or so depending on certain other variables.

At low-side pressures of 45-55 PSI, your evaporator temp could be as high as 60 degrees and your center vent air even higher. Your low pressure, I think, should be about 30 PSI, which will yield an evaporator temp of around 35 degrees and your center vent air in the low to mid 40's, again depending on certain other variables.

I agree with Cusser that it might be a little low on refrigerant. You could try "topping it off" with a few ounces, but doing that is really hit or miss because you won't be able to gauge how much refrigerant is actually in the system by your manifold gauge readings alone.

The best way is to recover the refrigerant that's in it now and weigh it. If it's low, you can then evacuate and recharge the system to the proper spec.

Refer to the under-hood decal to determine how much R-134a it takes and charge it accordingly.
Member – MACS (Mobile Air Climate Systems Association)

Thankful for the responses you have received? Please consider making a monetary donation to this Forum.
dsar592

Post by dsar592 »

Thanks for the info. I will check it out.