1998 Chevy Suburban Won't Cool Over 90 Degrees outside

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, Tim, JohnHere

billyjacksimpson
Read the full article

1998 Chevy Suburban Won't Cool Over 90 Degrees outside

Post by billyjacksimpson »

I have a 1998 Chevy Suburban 1500, 4WD, 5.7 and rear AC. 2 ish year ago the Engine spun a rod and the company that installed the engine Broke the seal on the AC somewhere and the system would not cool. So paid then 2200 and ALL the parts were replaced with NAPA Parts. All the lines everything. The unit would cool until the outside air gets above 90 then is will continue to run but will not cool. I live in Grand Junciton and the Work was done in Dallas. NAPA here did warranty work trying to get it to work above 90 degrees and could not. Spent another 500 Replacing with AC Delco parts. The NAPA in GJ said when he put a Pick up Orifice in it would cool the Front GREAT but the rear would not work. So after giving up and spending 2700 on trying to get it to work. Here in GJ it has not been a big deal the temp has been below 90 till this summer. It has been over 100 the last 10 days. So trying to figure out what the issue is. I don’t see sending it to NAPA no warranty and don’t trust Chevy not to replace EVERYTHING.

So in the last week the system seemed to be high on pressure and evacuated the extra pressure. Checked it this morning and the system was at 0 pressure added 12 oz and Found a Low Pressure Sensor Leak. The sensor on the dryer. I have replaced the Engine Trans Brakes front end wheel bearing and a ton of other stuff. 14k in the last three years so I don't want to junk it. I am at a loss as to what is going on. I have some AC Delco parts in my Amazon Cart low pressure sensor, orifice, Orifice Tool and an accumulator. So Can anyone help me determine what I need to get and WTH is wrong with my AC.

Thank you All
Billy Jack Simpson
bohica2xo
Preferred Member

Re: 1998 Chevy Suburban Won't Cool Over 90 Degrees outside

Post by bohica2xo »

If you are going to work on it yourself, you need a proper Gauge Set:

http://www.ackits.com/mt1416-santech-r1 ... oses-24615

You can't just "evacuate the extra pressure" while guessing at things with a can & a plastic low side gauge.

If you indeed did have "0 Pressure" overnight, you have a very big leak -and 12 ounces would not make much of a change to a system that large if it was indeed empty.

You need good gauge readings from both the high & low side of the system to diagnose any problems

First question:
Have you put anything in the system besides pure refrigerant? Any Sealer, Stop Leak, Magic in a Can?

Don't buy a bunch of parts until you have an idea of what is not working. We will be glad to help you through the standard troubleshooting here.
Cusser
Preferred Member

Re: 1998 Chevy Suburban Won't Cool Over 90 Degrees outside

Post by Cusser »

See if bohica2xo in Las Vegas is willing to work on this. We've had 1994 Suburban and still have 2005 Yukon with dual AC in Arizona, both factory R134a, and the systems do cool well.